PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Tow bar electrical problems

MarkDavis
13-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I have a VW Passat 1.9 TDI Gl estate reg August 1994. It has a factory fitted towbar. I need to tow a trailer. I have connected the trailer to the car and only get sidelights. I have proved the trailer wiring by connecting it to another car, it works fine. I have cleaned the white earth wire connection. I have proved the socket on the back of the car and the wires up to the rear light clusters. All fine and complete. I can only conclude that the loom is plugged into the wrong socket on the back of the rear light clusters. Any help with the problem would be much appreciated, I am going away tomorrow.

I am not a very technical person so simple help please. I also have very little money so I would like to fix it myself.

lpg boy
13-08-2008, 09:12 PM
have you checked the pins in the car socket have not crushed up as they have a cross cut in them allowing them to collapse smaller , they can be eased out with a small screwdriver enough to allow contact . Also have any been pushed inwards through the socket. I have had both of these happen a few times over the years, and if all else fails-WD40

MarkDavis
14-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks for that, the socket is rusted on badly otherwise I probably would have replaced it. We might have to cut it off. I have to leave by mid morning so I will let you know how I got on when we get back. If the worse comes to the worse I might have to resort to the roof rack.