PDA

View Full Version : Hardwearing tyres for passat

Greggo
13-08-2008, 06:33 PM
a

eko
13-08-2008, 09:32 PM
What kind of driving do you do? Motorway? Normal roads? I used to have a Passat tdi with the same tyre size and I used to get about 20000 out of the front tyres and about 27000 out of the back. I do a lot of motorway driving.

Ed

Greggo
14-08-2008, 06:53 PM
a

lakzzr
14-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi,

Stick with Conti's all round as I've managed 22k out of the front tyres and the rears are still very good, but make sure your tracking is in good shape.
(Mainly Motorway miles).

Lak

GarJE
15-08-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm in the same boat with my golf. The TDI's torque hammers soft compound tyres (like the conti's).

I'm switching to a cheapo brand next time.

eko
15-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Be careful, as these four little bits of rubber are the only thing that keeps you out of the trees on a nice wet morning.

hongkongstuey
15-08-2008, 08:41 PM
changing rear tyres? ive never replaced a rear set in my 14 years driving fwd cars, rears have always been in good shape and checked for cracking etc but never replaced any, my old fiesta had the same rears for 40k i think? hope my passat doesnt start using 4 tyres instead of two!! continentals on the back, falken 912's up front, they have done about 9k and are still about 5mm, fairing well under my style of driving, dont wheelspin or muck about though so that has something to do with it, falken 512's on my fiesta lasted about 7500 miles each time, 2 front sets in 12 months.

i hear about rotating tyres front to back etc here and there but i have one jack so cannot really see any point or could withstand the hassle of doing it, got my service in a few months so will see how much rears have worn when i get the report back, i'd say 1mm in 12 months after 10k

i'd never trust cheap tyres on any car i have, they keep you alive, same as i'd never have hard compound tyres, always go for soft tyres like the falkens, i can afford the 90 quid every 6 months to replace them and stay alive

paulthefox
15-08-2008, 10:48 PM
i have found that nankanghave been a hardwearing tyreon 17alloys just recently replaced them on the front of the car

the rears have plenty of tread left for a budget tyre rate them as good:D

paul

Greggo
16-08-2008, 10:20 AM
a

audirjb
30-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I just bought some continental for my A4 2.5.

They are wearign really well three months on, and are pretty sticky.

Only 58 pounds each, a real bargain for 195 x 16!

Richard

hongkongstuey
30-08-2008, 08:14 PM
im gonna rethink my tyre choice against my falken 912's, they've lasted 5000 miles and are knackered, time to get some better hard wearing tyres, i can sacrifice a small amount of grip for a few thousand more but i expect more than 5k out of a set of fronts, the added torque wont have help, but neither will the great number of roundabouts on the way to work from ironbridge to newport, i might even consider a different way to work through shifnal to see if the tyres last longer, same distance pretty much but 8 roundabouts less, i guess if i took them a bit slower it might help :biglaugh:

andy pen
31-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Ive got semperit speed comforts and they are showing very little wear after 5k miles and grip well in all conditions and are quiet.Also they were £48 fitted so had enough left to go down the pub for the weekend

bugwhizz
24-09-2008, 09:05 AM
hankook ventus K104 and 105 are top notch imho

grip well in both dry and wet and have good tyre life.

mak

Trevorswaine
08-10-2008, 06:16 PM
I've always used Michelins for longevity, but the latest ones seem noisy (maybe it's just the 4-motion drive).

Not too impressed with Kumho, too easily damaged, and I had major problems with Continental a few years ago, with 3 tyres almost disintegrating on me - of course when they were sent back there wasn't any fault with the tyres - so I won't touch Contis again.

audipersempre
15-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I inherited Michelin Pilots when I bought my A6 back in February. They were not new but not sure exactly how much tread they had on them.

Covered over 15k motorway miles now and they will need replacing within the next 2k I suspect. It's a quattro so all four will ahve to be done at the same time (wallet pain expected!)

I think I will choose the same again because they do seem to wear well and I don't really notice excess road noise on the motorways.

Big G
15-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I have goodyear NCT on the back and bridgestone turanza er30. BOth are doing very well since the goodyear were on the front to begin with.

Baron_Samedi
15-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I had about 22k out of the Dunlop SP'2 VW fit as standard

I had around 22k or so out of Pirelli P6000's

But only 17k out of Continental Sport Contact 2's

These figures are for front tyres as I have not had to replace the P6000's on the rear of the car in around 35k

Pimped-Passat
30-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I have managed to get 30k miles out of the Continental Contact 2's that were factory fitted. I did have them switched around so they wore evenly. Now ready for replacement, and I think I am going to go for Michelin as they are on offer at Costco..!! Buy four and get 20% off..!

4 Michelin Primacy - 235\45 R17 Y (XL) - £444 all in..!
That is by far the best price I have seen anywhere

However what I have noticed with factory fitted tyres is that they tend to last long than the ones you buy as replacements..!

Even if you buy the exact tyres as the factory fitted ones, they never seem to last as long...!!!!

Has anyone else noticed this or am I imagining it..?!!!!

Cheers
Mark

m4xmw
31-10-2008, 01:27 AM
As regards ro tyre life, I think it depends on where the tyres have been made.
Same brand and tread pattern but different factory.. may have an effect on longevity.

Go for the costco deal, its where I tend to buy my tyres from and they have great fitters too!

Mark

GarJE
01-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Just bought the cheapest 225/45/R17's I could get for my Mk5 TDI from the local tyre shop.

The make is......Event (£115 fitted for a pair).

Will let everyone know how they last/perform, but they seem ok so far.

wingers1982
01-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Just bought the cheapest 225/45/R17's I could get for my Mk5 TDI from the local tyre shop.

The make is......Event (£115 fitted for a pair).

Will let everyone know how they last/perform, but they seem ok so far.

i bought a car with events on and omg they are awful they spin in the wet in 3rd gear and it a 150bhp diesel, i've worked in tyres for nearly 6 years now and know a thing or 2 about tyres cheap isnt always the best if you want a tyre that you will get loads of mileage out of stay away from cheap tyres, the rubber they use isnt top quality and will wear out quicker than a named brand of course you are going to get the odd exception but remember you get what you pay for, different tyres work better on different cars if im correct some of the passats came with michelin fitted remember vw spent thousands developing these cars so usually the best tyres are the ones it origanally came with the newer passats have dunlop

GarJE
02-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Sorry mate, but these events are replacing Conti Sport conact 2's which only lasted 6,000 miles on the front of my car.

Even if they last just that long, i'll be quids in, as the conti's are about £120 each.

As for wheelspin, I've just been out and can't get the T/C to come on, even flooring it in 1st/2nd.

Handling seems fine too.

daveb99
18-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I had Michelin Pilot Primacys on my Passat, they lasted 30k miles no problem at all - driven enthusiastically at times too!

DrWho
26-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I would rate nankangs as alright too. Had a set on my 2.5 quad cam legacy and they lasted well. I know its awd but they gripped great and i never worried about safety.

They were pretty nice looking tyres also if your into that kind of thing. :p