PDA

View Full Version : A4 center box

Audi A4 Lover
13-08-2008, 04:57 PM
UGH!Iv just finished putting mine in, and I need a rant!!Iv done plenty of exhausts in my life,never had a problem(apart from putting a stainless steel kit,including new manifolds on a rover SD1,now THATS a job!).But what a ball ache this one was!It was the origional box,so its lasted well,10 years is alot more than the expected life of an exhaust silencer! But anyway, after trying my hardest to undo the bolts on the clasp between the center pipe and the cat, i decided to just buy some new clamps and gring the old ones off,so off they came.I discoverd that instead of the usual format of one pipe fitting inside the other, the two pipes are the same size,and have a small sleeve joining the two.SO after wrestling this off I turned my attention to getting the other side off.After searching a for a good while sor a join or clamps, it becasue clear there was no join, and I was going to have to cut through it to get it off:aargh4:!!Doesnt sound like any tall order,however when your lying on your back isntead of being under a nice big ramp its a pain in the rear!Hack saw couldnt do it, grinder didnt do it, so had to resort to using my jogsaw to get through the pipe!So after lots of swearing to myself it comes off.Offers up the new center box and looks like it'l go in sweet as a nut!However, the front end of the center pip is faaar too big were it connects with the cat, and the rear pipe is exactly the same size as the other side so doesnt slide over!!!:aargh4::aargh4::mad::zx11: After a bit of pondering,I used the orgional sleeve bit from the middle on the back,and that went ok actually,it will need another clamp on it,but ill get one tomorrow.As for the front,what an absolte sod!I must have taken it of and put it back on at least 5 times and Iv tightened the clamps as tight as theyl go, but it still blows like a bas***d!Im going to get some exhaust compound tomorrow, take the box off again, and this time lather it up with paste before clamping it down.I hope this should solve it!!

Rant over :approve:

Oh and I recorded this whilst in the middle of doing the job, I couldnt resist hehehe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXI6cVJ468Q

Dudey Head
13-08-2008, 06:09 PM
'Swear'ing hell it's depressing when things just go wrong! Any DIY regardless of car, house or garden. I always get that sinking feeling & "oh, what a 'swear'ing surprise" in the back of my head. I've not got the longest fuse in the world when it comes to stuff like that, it drives me mad. I got loads of patience with people, but when inanimate things start acting up it's rage time!!
:zx11:

Col
13-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Mmmmm, centre box. My favourite type.

Dudey Head
13-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Mmmmm, centre box. My favourite type.

I presume you're being naughty!! :D