PDA

View Full Version : Slow starting

Barnaby
23-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi im new here, thought someone could help, basically just got a 1.8 Jetta 1990, and can't get the bloody thing started when i turn the key the engine turns really slowly like the battery was dead, tried two other batteries and a booster, tried connecting jump leads to the engine and starter thinking maybe the wires were ******, still nothing. Now thinking maybe it the starter itself. any ideas?

chris

thefoolmccool
23-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Yea sounds like the starter alright, as long as the batteries you were trying are good and not indeed dodgy themselves.

Pull the starter off. Not too big a deal usuall two or three bolts and wiring. Rem to remove the battery connection though, as you will have a live wire swinging about. get a second hand one from a scrappy. Should be about 20-30 quid.

Barnaby
24-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Well took the starter out today didn't realise it was connected to an engine mount! Anyway connected it to the battery and it seemed to work fine tho it didnt seem to keep spinning at the same speed kept speeding up the slowing down.

NicholasP
24-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Well took the starter out today didn't realise it was connected to an engine mount! Anyway connected it to the battery and it seemed to work fine tho it didnt seem to keep spinning at the same speed kept speeding up the slowing down.

you mean the rpms kept rising and falling?

I had this on an old ford fiesta..especially when i would (finally...) start it. It refused to idle...got it checked out and turned out to be a problem with the ECU. Didn't bother fixing it though as wasn't worth it

Barnaby
24-01-2007, 04:55 PM
No not the rpms. ment the starter itself when connected to the battery out of the engine.

thefoolmccool
26-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Sounds like its done. Bench testing the starter would be no good with no load on it anyway. I would see if you can service the brushes at the back of the motor, if its a bosch, brushes should be available at any good electrical motor spares store. Have done this myself and got at least 10000 miles from it before ihad to scrap the car.

Barnaby
26-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Had the starter out of the car again and once again forgot it was connected to an engine mount thus the engine dropping again.(really must remember next time)
Anyway had a look at the brushes seemed fine but cleaned them anyway, and still no luck. Picking a recon starter tommorrow hopefully should work. Just wanna get the bloody thing started haven't heard it run yet!