PDA

View Full Version : A3 TDI 110 starting problems

zeromx
13-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi all,
Ive recently purchased a 1997 Audi A3 1.9 TDI (110) SE and it seems to take a little while to start up, i dont think its the glow plugs as it works fine afterwards, mileage is @ 92k.... could this either be the starter?..

thanks in advance, and ive search before hand but no luck...

SEMKY
13-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi all,
Ive recently purchased a 1997 Audi A3 1.9 TDI (110) SE and it seems to take a little while to start up, i dont think its the glow plugs as it works fine afterwards, mileage is @ 92k.... could this either be the starter?..

thanks in advance, and ive search before hand but no luck...

I would think that if the engine turns over at a normal speed on the starter, before firing, then the fault isnt with the starter motor?? Sorry I cant offer any more help, good luck!

zeromx
13-08-2008, 02:26 PM
could the fuel filter do have any affect on this, as the colour of the oil indiactes a change in need and also the car has been sitting down for a long time the previous owner told me...

SEMKY
13-08-2008, 06:17 PM
could the fuel filter do have any affect on this, as the colour of the oil indiactes a change in need and also the car has been sitting down for a long time the previous owner told me...

I would change it then mate, go with the simple things first! Fuel filters have a huge affect on the diesels I look after!;)

zeromx
15-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Ok so today i done a service; oil change, oil filter change, air filter change and fuel filter change.. still same problem but the car peforms betters! ;) so i took it a local garage they put it in a diagonstic machine and should no faults and one worker said it could be the tempterature switch which is a common so i orded a genuine from AUDI but still same problem.. it seems like when i start it in a cold mornings it starts up fine but once warmed up it takes abit of time to startup!.. ;(

dc386
09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
i've got the same problem with my audi.. its an r reg and in the cold is fine but once warmed up.. has issues starting. did you find out what the problem was?

zeromx
09-09-2008, 05:18 PM
i've got the same problem with my audi.. its an r reg and in the cold is fine but once warmed up.. has issues starting. did you find out what the problem was?

yes its called a temperature switch cost around £25 from audi, a small peice...

mjrplan9
04-06-2009, 02:08 PM
hi there,i have the same issue,was told by a few guys its the glow plugs but it starts great cold not when its warmed up...temperature switch u say...is that the coolant temerature switch then?

paddy737
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Im another man with the same engine, same problem. Do you have a part number for this temperature switch. Where is it located on the engine?

sillydior
09-06-2009, 09:52 PM
hey i have the same issue with my 98 a3 110 itdi ts starts quickly when left for a while or cold, but you've got to hold it when warm.
but today the glow plug light has started flashing non stop so thought that was the cause of this!
i've got the plugs ordered, but do you's think its okay to still drive till there fitted?
and will the starting be better once changed?

regards

azav
30-09-2009, 08:39 AM
hey i have the same issue with my 98 a3 110 itdi ts starts quickly when left for a while or cold, but you've got to hold it when warm.
but today the glow plug light has started flashing non stop so thought that was the cause of this!
i've got the plugs ordered, but do you's think its okay to still drive till there fitted?
and will the starting be better once changed?

regards

Hi Sillydior

I have exactly the same problem and I was wondering if you found the solution? Thanks

simonamanda
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi Guys

Another one with the same issue , I have changed the temperature sensor but its still the same.

azav
07-12-2009, 11:23 PM
It could the brake sensor's fault; brake lights do not light up anymore...
When I replace it, I'll let you know.

mjrplan9
09-12-2009, 01:47 PM
i doubt its the brakes that are at fault with this problem..sounds like a fuse issue with yours...not a sensor.
i replaced the coolant sensor thinking that would solve the problem...still the same issue with warm starting and sounds a wee bit lumpy at times when the car is idleing...it sounded way better when i unplugged the sensor..just frustrated now..is there another sensor in the coolane system??anyone know