PDA

View Full Version : ESP

tony_anon
23-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi,

While driving on the icy roads this morning, I noticed that the ESP light flashed momentarily. I think the ESP is supposed to be on all the time and when the light stays on, its disabled (manually or whilst driving).
Given the icy conditions, should I expect this to happen again? Does ESP work with the Traction Control and ABS? Should it be off for icy roads?

Cheers.

Mav2006
23-01-2007, 02:56 PM
I thought it flashed when it was activated, i.e actively doing something (stopping wheels spin ?) , as opposed to being switched on. When I press the ESP switch to turn it off the light stays illuminated.

Also I'm not sure if it should be on or off in ice/snow. Seem to remember my dealer saying something about it, but that was three years ago

Dansk
23-01-2007, 03:25 PM
ESP is working all the time in the background if the light is out, if it flash's whilst driving that indicates that it has cut in and prevented your wheels spinning, if you press the button and the light is on permantly then that means you have switched it off. ESP is traction controll, so if its off it cant deliver power to the wheel with the most grip!

If its icy i would leave it on (light out).

richjthorpe
23-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

Just want to re-iterate that ESP should be left ON in snowy/icy/wet weather.

ESP isn't traction control as such, that is ASR under Audi's guise. ESP is a system the stops the back end of a car from breaking loose if you swerve heavily or corner too quickly by applying some of the brakes depending on the car's position on the road at the time.

ASR stops the car's wheels from spinning when too much torque goes through them.

Richie.

tony_anon
23-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi,

Many thanks for the posts. I'll leave ESP ON (light off). Good to see that its working when the light flashes!

madfella65
24-01-2007, 01:09 AM
from memory i think i recall it saying i the manual to switch off ESP in the snow - not sure about icy roads - but should definitely be on when its wet

patrick
24-01-2007, 04:09 AM
"ESP" stands for Electronic Stabilization Program. ESP is much more than you might think. It is not a "traction control", however the "ASR" Anti-Slip Regulation is "traction control". ASR is a system that is embedded into ESP, in other words it is only a part of it.

ESP stabilizes your Audi or VW by correcting a "skid". If you are turning left and the car starts to "understeer" (turning the wheel left but the car itself is not turning), the ESP system will kick in and correct the track of the vehicle by applying any or a combination of any brake calipers - in this case the left rear, effectively pulling the vehicle back into line with the intent of direction that the driver inputs from the wheel.

At the heart of the ESP system is a "Yaw" sensor, which senses side to side movement, wheel speed sensors, and a steering wheel sensor.

Any time ESP or ASR engages, the yellow light will flash. This is normal. Some VW owners may notice they only have an "ASR" button, so that particular car would only be equipped with traction control, not ESP. ASR will attempt to gain more traction by transferring power to the wheel/wheels with traction, and adjust throttle by reducing it to try to regain traction.

When ESP or ASR is disengaged, they yellow light in your dash will stay lit solid on either system. I do not recommend ever turning it off, unless you get stuck. I turn mine off when I am climbing steep hills that are really slick....when the "ASR" part of the system bogs the power down too much....providing more wheel spin. The car will slide around with the system off.

When starting your Audi or VW, it is normal for the light to light up, then go out after a moment.

I hope this answers all of your questions. At your own risk, try finding an empty parking lot...go there in the rain or snow. Try getting your Audi/VW to slide. Pretty hard! See if you can get it to spin out. Now try the same thing with the stability program off...BIG DIFFERENCE.

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com (http://www.audia4mods.com)

MalcQV
24-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the write up Patrick. I for one was not aware of the extent of the ESP system on my car I thought it was simply T/Ctrl.

I have noticed if you boot it from standstill the ESP light flickers, wet or not ;)

patrick
24-01-2007, 02:46 PM
My pleasure. ESP is is totally awesome. Keep in mind that Audi develops their new technologies on the race track and offers these same technologies to us on the street. How do you think we ended up with our 4-Link front suspension systems?

For those Porsche fans, ESP is the equivalent the PSM system...Porsche Stability Management.

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com (http://www.audia4mods.com)

skymaster
25-01-2007, 09:45 PM
http://www.vw.co.uk/new_cars/esp

This also helps explain it. It also has a nice little animation

Thanks Patrick,

patrick
26-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Yep. That explains it! It really is a wicked system.

Patrick
www.audia4mods.com

MalcQV
26-01-2007, 03:17 PM
As I said impressive, but is that the same system fitted to my 2003 Passat?

skymaster
26-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I dont know. However I think it's fair to say that VW and Audi do upgrade the system a lot.
http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/new_cars/a4/saloon/technology.html

This refers to Audi ESP as being version 8 on the current model A4s. I guess as it must be very heavily software driven they can constantly improve and update it.