PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Hello & advice please........

katie68
12-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi all, I'm Kate and I need a bit of advice if possible!

I'm very close to purchasing my 1st Audi ;) an A6 estate either the 2.6 or 2.8 se model, around 98ish year. Currently I own a very battered BMW 525 estate and she needs a well earned rest having done me proud for 8 years.

I would like to know is if there are any problems I need to look out for when buying one, most people I have spoken to say they are bullet proof. The things I'd like to find out are like, should I stick to manual, do the auto's have any issues. Is there a particular engine that is better, and stuff like that.

I appreciate that you probably get asked these questions regularly, so if you don't have time could someone direct me to a previous thread.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Kate

paul b
13-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, my A6 is a diesel, so I won't be able to help much with what engine to choose. :(

But as for gearboxes, beware of the "Multitronic" automatics, which seem quite troublesome. If you buy a Quattro (4WD) then you don't need to worry if it has a Multitronics only came in 2WD cars. If you do look at a Multitronic, ensure the gearbox has had an oil and filter change recently.

A 2.6 or a 2.8 ? Well they're both thirsty things aren't they ?

Paul

adamss24
13-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi dear, i would look for a 2.5 tdi if you can stretch as the petrols are rather thirsty. They are quite bullet- proof if they were maintained well, with regular oil changes. The front suspenssion is rather fragile so any clonks or odd susp. noises/bounces should be adressed ASAP. Check the service history for records of cambelts change as dealer charges £500+( i do them for 350 ALL IN !) and haggle hard for it ! Dont be afraid of high milers as i owned a few and they were all with over 150ooo/200ooo miles. Electrics are rather costly to fix so make shure everything works as it should...

katie68
13-08-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm used to thirsty beasts, saying that my 525 does around 30mpg on runs, so not too bad and I don't go anywhere slowly - thanks for the help though much appreciated!!