PDA

View Full Version : EPC Light/OBD Connector position

achundee
23-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi all,

I have bought my girlfriend a 2000 Polo 1.4 60bhp (the facelifted model), and when I bought it, i noticed that the EPC light came on when you turned the ignition key to "on", but went off when the engine started.

I thought this was normal behaviour, but I have also noticed that the coldstart on there isn't that great. When she went to work this morning (1 degree celcius) she said that the EPC light stayed on for ages.

Firstly, does anyone know please where the OBD connector is on this car so that I can hook up a vagcom to it, and failing that, if anyone knows what this problem might be, I would be very appreciative of any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Eshrules
23-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

I have bought my girlfriend a 2000 Polo 1.4 60bhp (the facelifted model), and when I bought it, i noticed that the EPC light came on when you turned the ignition key to "on", but went off when the engine started.

I thought this was normal behaviour, but I have also noticed that the coldstart on there isn't that great. When she went to work this morning (1 degree celcius) she said that the EPC light stayed on for ages.

Firstly, does anyone know please where the OBD connector is on this car so that I can hook up a vagcom to it, and failing that, if anyone knows what this problem might be, I would be very appreciative of any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

the EPC is simply the engine management light, it signifies a fault. if the light stays on permenantly AFTER the car has fired up, it means there is a fault code logged, to read which as you seem to realise, you need a code reader.

this plugs into the OBD port you refer to. try looking under your stereo/dash assembly, there may be a slim piece of plastic with a symbol on it i think, that will cover your OBD port, take this piece of plastic off and hey presto. im hoping that if im wrong, someone will correct me as i am presuming it would be the same kind of layout as a golf?

once you have managed to locate the port and read the codes, post them here and the symptoms your experienceing and people will try to give you some indication as to the fault you have. :beerchug:

achundee
23-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi,

I know that on my '99 passat the obd port is covered by a rubber penholder on the centre console and you really wouldn't know that the obd port was behind there. Before I started randomly breaking off bits on her ride, I thought I had better ask around a bit :p

I'll have a look under the dash for the connector when she gets home today.

Thanks!

Eshrules
23-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi,

I know that on my '99 passat the obd port is covered by a rubber penholder on the centre console and you really wouldn't know that the obd port was behind there. Before I started randomly breaking off bits on her ride, I thought I had better ask around a bit :p

I'll have a look under the dash for the connector when she gets home today.

Thanks!

LOL let us know how you get on!! i understand the 'better not break anything of hers' ethos, the bain of my existance! :beerchug: