PDA

View Full Version : Central locking leak in 96 A4

LozW
12-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi,
I have a central locking leak in the rear door of my A4. I can hear it hissing and the central locking motor overruns as a result. I've had the problem for a year or so and it's getting worse. I've read somewhere that if I leave it, the impeller on the pump will eventually shatter and I'll have to buy a new pump. Which I'd rather not.
I took the trim off the back door yesterday and removed the frame holding the window. The leak appears to come from the plastic box next to the door lock. I decided not to start taking any more apart without reading up a bit. Has anyone else had this problem/corrected it that can give me any advice?
I can't find a guide anywhere online...
Hope someone can help!
Loz

richie_jones
12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
When i fixed my leak it was the end of the hose which slips over the fitting that had cracked and was leaking air. All i did was chop the end off with a knife, heated the end up with boiling water then slipped it back on the fitting.

LozW
12-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks Richie,
I got a bit scared to pull it all out of the door in case I couldn't get it back together again! Maybe I'll be braver. Was your car a similar age? I had an Audi 90 before, and it was much easier to pull the central locking stuff out of that...
Loz

richie_jones
12-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Mines a 97 A4 1.8t so should be the same. Thinking about it now the plastic end wasn`t quite pliable with boiling water and i had to warm it up carefully with a lighter....Goodluck

::SPG::
12-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I've had a similar issue on my 99 A4 Avant. I found it to be actual actuator (the blue thing on top of the lock). Short term I've popped the pneumatic line off and bunged the end. Pump now only running for 2/3 secs but I have to open door lock manually :( Longer term, getting to the actuator looks a right pain, window frame off like you said. I'm on the look out for a new one at the scrappy.

LozW
12-08-2008, 09:00 PM
OK, I've done it. Wasn't as bad as I thought. The leak was in the actuator as you have SPG. Taking the window frame out isn't all that bad - just 4 bolts in the sides of the door (a little easier to manoeuvre with the window wound down).
Once you've done that, remove two bolts on the lock and it pulls out fairly easily.
I popped down to Bridges in Pease Pottage this afternoon and pulled a lock with actuator attached out of a scrapped A4 - they only charged me £10 Audi quoted me 90ish or 60ish (depending on chassis no) plus VAT for just the actuator. I took the lock with the actuator as the actuator didn't want to come off easily and I was worried I'd damage it. Getting the tube off and putting the new one on was the only difficult bit. Boiling water wasn't hot enough as richie said, but a heat gun did the trick. Works perfectly now. Pump stops almost immediately.

Cheers for your posts :beerchug:
Loz