PDA

View Full Version : Golf SDI Mk4 door lock

boatswain
22-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Drivers door lock was frozen this weekend and I tried a bit hard to unlock it - now the door wont lock or unlock with key - so I use the passenger side now - the key turns left and right without any effect - the locks are manual and not central locking - any IDEAS please ??

many thanks in anticipation & regards

Boatswain:confused: :1zhelp:

Eshrules
23-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Drivers door lock was frozen this weekend and I tried a bit hard to unlock it - now the door wont lock or unlock with key - so I use the passenger side now - the key turns left and right without any effect - the locks are manual and not central locking - any IDEAS please ??

many thanks in anticipation & regards

Boatswain:confused: :1zhelp:

this could well be a locksmith's speciality im afraid. im not sure of any way to tell of the damage you could have done by forcing the key? alternative may be to replace the locks, shouldnt imagine this is too hard if you can get a full set of handles/locks & keys for the car, shouldnt affect the alarm if you have one....?

boatswain
23-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeh! I guess its a door trim removal job - maybe I should get the workshop manual and go from there - I note from the posts on this site that maybe I can change the lock cylinder without pulling the trim.
so I will see if I can resist the VW dealer's offer of "bring it in and we will investigate"

Thanks anyway:D

Bonedog
05-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi, I have the same issue. How did you get this resolved? Thx

vwpd130
06-02-2008, 11:50 PM
sounds to me that your "eccentric" has snapped

a common VW fault

you dont need to strip the door to replace it, just remove the outer handle and the barrel, however, its a fiddly job and worth bunging a vw techie a "beer token" to replace it

tangoalpha
24-08-2008, 02:46 PM
I have exactly the same problem.

Even if i turn the key, the lock dont operate, I have to get in through the passengers side to lock or unlock the drivers side door from inside.

This morning I took out the lock cylinder,
when I turn the key, the flat shaft on the end does not turn. I suppose its snapped somewhere internally.

I am pretty confident to replece it myself but need some help finding the part number. Exactly what do I ask for when I go to eurocarparts? Is it the cylinder for the drivers door only or do i have to change all three?

Any responses at all will be considered an help.

Cheers.

sounds to me that your "eccentric" has snapped

a common VW fault

you dont need to strip the door to replace it, just remove the outer handle and the barrel, however, its a fiddly job and worth bunging a vw techie a "beer token" to replace it

smokey0123
24-08-2008, 03:11 PM
If you get 1 from the dealer they can make you 1 so it uses your original key. If you give them the VIN number and tel them what you want they should get it right