PDA

View Full Version : Alarm on my A3?

s-l-i-x
11-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi guys, does my car have an alarm? It says all on the parkers site that A3's are fitted with one but I cant seem to set it off.. Tried leaving the window open too and putting my arm in to see if it would set it off too but no luck..

Its a 2001 A3 1.6 without the air-con if that helps? :1zhelp:

nagga
11-08-2008, 03:24 PM
hey i have the same problem... thou

i alarm does blink the flashers wen i set it on and off.

i have read on the forums that the siren itself has recharagble battries in them

options

do some DIY solidering and put some new battries in

or go to audi am let them rip you off on a new siren unit 170 squid.

i havnt done either..

the siren is on the left hand side of the boot compartment. beneath the sub / cd shuffle but deep. -- dunno if you have to remove the rear light cluster.

sad hey!!! Audi am gona shoot them with my potato gun!!! lol

s-l-i-x
11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
But surely then if the siren was buggered the hazard lights would flash when the veichle is banged or something is inside... but I get nothing!...

omegadirective
11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I've never heard the alarm go off in my car either but it shows it's alarmed with the indicators flashing and the little red flashing lights in the door! :) I trust it to deter people even if it doesn't actually work. I'll test mine out tonight and let you know how mine is.

I'm driving my '00 A3 1.6 Sport (No AC) at the moment, so they should be similar enough I reckon. There is a button on the centre support, down near the bottom (right next to your bum) that I believe is supposed to be able to turn the Alarm sensors on or off. Useful if you have a dog! Check that it's on. I think it comes up with a small light if it's OFF, but not sure! My button has been missing since the day I bought the car, so I can't test that out I'm afraid!

omegadirective
12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Well my alarm doesn't go off. At all. Tried shaking the car, sticking my hands through the windows, nothing works. I reckon it's been switched off by the previous owner. :( Dog's...

Now I'm in the same boat, so if anyone knows for sure how to check the alarm, post it here please! Lol.

s-l-i-x
12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Could it be that there is no alarm on some models of the A3?

dansansome
12-08-2008, 11:01 AM
nagga, the alarm unit is "only" about £85 ish from a dealer. if you know where it is fitted, and can get to it yourself, then it is only a single bolt, and one connector to change.

nagga
12-08-2008, 11:18 AM
This switch people are talking about near the driver side door pillar...

i have had alook around ther... all i see is a little groove. with a red last light coming out. no switch...

as for the siren unit 85 is a fair bit still....i think its the battires in my unit. as the alarm does work...the hardards go blinking mad when i break into my car. and set the alarm off.

i want the fu*ker fixed if anyone can help.

the unit is in the boot left hand side i belive !!!

nagga, the alarm unit is "only" about £85 ish from a dealer. if you know where it is fitted, and can get to it yourself, then it is only a single bolt, and one connector to change.

dansansome
12-08-2008, 11:29 AM
how about a battery replacement guide

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73315&highlight

:)

JDale
13-08-2008, 10:18 AM
The only way i could seem to set mine off was when i left my girlfriend in the car, i locked it as i walked away (out of habit) then she called me a couple minutes later when i was in the shop saying the car alarm was going off. She unlocked the car and got out but it still carried on!!!

:D Very amusing seeing as somebody actually went up and asked her what she was doing next to the car with the alarm going off!!:D

I have 2 buttons located on the drivers door pilar, have had a play around with them before but not sure if it has had an effect....apart from the above!!:biglaugh:

dansansome
13-08-2008, 10:39 AM
one button should turn the interior monitor off (for leaving pets/girlfriends in the car), and the other turns off the tilt sensor (if being towed etc)

SEMKY
13-08-2008, 10:44 AM
how about a battery replacement guide

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73315&highlight

:)

Thats a brilliant write up!!! Gonna give it a try once I have sourced the batteries! :approve::approve:

JDale
13-08-2008, 10:51 AM
one button should turn the interior monitor off (for leaving pets/girlfriends in the car), and the other turns off the tilt sensor (if being towed etc)

Hmmmm, do i switch the sensor off next time i leave her in the car.....:biglaugh:

dansansome
13-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Thats a brilliant write up!!! Gonna give it a try once I have sourced the batteries! :approve::approve:

Maplin P/N: BN24B 3/V150H 3.6V 160mAh (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=bn24b&source=15&SD=Y)

gixxerk4600
13-08-2008, 11:28 AM
take the battery out for a few mins and it should reset. or you could try and set the alarm by putting key in door and turnin it! in ur car, are you able to disarm part of the alarm, so say if your car is getting towed or on a boat you can just leave the immobiliser on? and alarm will show its set but wont go off when moved or anything like that! sit in the car and set alarm as you would and try to start the car!

s-l-i-x
13-08-2008, 12:01 PM
I dont have any buttons in the door pillars :( also there is no flashing LED's at all on the door pins...

omegadirective
13-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Hmm, I have recess where a button used to be on the door pillar, thats the only thing I have. There's a red light from inside it when it's dark (haven't noticed during the day!). I'll have a look and see if I can change it.

The lack of alarm is probably due to the previous owners dog's being left in the car (or her husband! ;) ) and I'm not going to kick my nice shiny A3 until the alarm goes off...

gixxerk4600
13-08-2008, 01:12 PM
the buttons on mine are on the door! can only get to it when door is open and its on the lock side of door!

omegadirective
13-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Well I got the alarm to go off but it's just the indicators that go off. I'm hoping it is just the siren needing a new battery. I'll have a look at a later date but my CD changer is mounted on top of that.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can activate the alarm without having to change the battery? I'd rather not rip everything out to find it isn't the battery. I've googled it but I get constant websites trying to sell me new Audi A3 alarm systems...

s-l-i-x
13-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Well I got the alarm to go off but it's just the indicators that go off. I'm hoping it is just the siren needing a new battery. I'll have a look at a later date but my CD changer is mounted on top of that.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can activate the alarm without having to change the battery? I'd rather not rip everything out to find it isn't the battery. I've googled it but I get constant websites trying to sell me new Audi A3 alarm systems...
How did you get it to go off? Rocking mine or putting hands in an open window doesn't work...

omegadirective
13-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Bear in mind it's just the indicators that go off! You might miss it because they can stop after a short while, you would probably hear the relay clicking though.

I left the windows (and sunroof if you have it) down, watched for the central locking light on the door to start flashing regularly ( took upto 15seconds to settle) then I stuck my hand in and waved about like crazy until the alarm went off. It took a few attempts to get it to work properly.

Best not let anyone see you trying as they will know your alarm won't work! :p

If it still doesn't go off then check your pillar button (which should be near your door lock) and play about with it. If it doesn't have one I'm not sure mate! :(

When your alarm is set the lights on your door should flash regularly. Once a second I think it is?

If all else fails, try and grab a hold of someone with VAGCOM and see if they can sort anything out for you? I might have to try get a hold of a VAGCOM to make sure my alarm hasn't been deactivated. I read on another forum it's an option to disable the horn. Don't know why on earth you'd want to disable your alarm, but hey... some people are weird! (Myself included! :p)

dansansome
13-08-2008, 05:43 PM

can you unplug the connector to the alarm unit?

if so, you could try connecting up a multimeter to the alarm trigger pin. there are three pins, power/gnd/trigger, but not sure which is which. when the alarm goes off, you should see the trigger line change voltage.

if the trigger line is active, but the siren isnt, then its the siren unit that is knackered.

omegadirective
14-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Don't have a multimeter at the moment but thats probably my best bet! I can pull the cable out from where it's been hidden away so getting to it shouldn't be a problem!

Excellent Idea though! :D Thanks!