PDA

View Full Version : A8 very tempting, some questions

jamesc68
11-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Had a look at a 2005 Black 3.0 TD Quattro tiptronic on Saturday. Fab to drive and full of kit. Just love the MMI !

Amazed at the torque. Obviously not as neck snapping as the XKR, but really not too far behind.

I am sure i remember reading that the 3.00 is a great candidate for chipping / remapping. Has anyone had any experience and can recommend a chipping company.

Also, can the LED daytime running lights be retrofitted? Audio dealer says no, but i wondered if anyone knows different !!

TimmyTim
11-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Had a look at a 2005 Black 3.0 TD Quattro tiptronic on Saturday. Fab to drive and full of kit. Just love the MMI !

Amazed at the torque. Obviously not as neck snapping as the XKR, but really not too far behind.

I am sure i remember reading that the 3.00 is a great candidate for chipping / remapping. Has anyone had any experience and can recommend a chipping company.

Also, can the LED daytime running lights be retrofitted? Audio dealer says no, but i wondered if anyone knows different !!

A very nice car they are to... Not sure what kind of price the A8 is that you are looking for but, I went down to the car Auctions in Nottingham and they were going for a song! A 57 plate 4.2 quattro sport with 6763k on the clock went for 23k! And it was mint.

About 40 A8 went through (allot were the 3Ltr Diesel Quattro's) with about 40k on the clock ranging from 16k to 19k! All were 55 plates and upwards with a full main dealer service history and with the 102 point check...

Food for thought!

I just wished I'd had 20k spare! :D

peterg1965
14-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I am also keen on the A8, looking at a 3.0TDI Quattro Sport. Am I right in saying that they fall into VED Band F (not the highest)? This one caught my eye:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/AUDI+A8/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-51-113-240-4294966565-4294966997/advert.action?R=200831315597818&distance=17&postcode=SW1A+2AA&channel=CARS&make=AUDI&model=A8&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

but it seems expensive compared with the 55 plates going through auction. Were those public auctions or closed ones?

TimmyTim
14-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I am also keen on the A8, looking at a 3.0TDI Quattro Sport. Am I right in saying that they fall into VED Band F (not the highest)? This one caught my eye:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/AUDI+A8/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-51-113-240-4294966565-4294966997/advert.action?R=200831315597818&distance=17&postcode=SW1A+2AA&channel=CARS&make=AUDI&model=A8&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

but it seems expensive compared with the 55 plates going through auction. Were those public auctions or closed ones?

Yer... I think it's in that band! That looks like a nice motor. The only thing I'd be concerened about is the service history! I don't like these extended oil change that they have on VAG cars! especially on a diesel.

No the auction was open to us punters! The traders don't like that much as we can afford to pay alittle more than they can for the cars...

peterg1965
15-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Yer... I think it's in that band! That looks like a nice motor. The only thing I'd be concerened about is the service history! I don't like these extended oil change that they have on VAG cars! especially on a diesel.

No the auction was open to us punters! The traders don't like that much as we can afford to pay alittle more than they can for the cars...

Agree ref extended service intervals, but easily remedied I assume by changing the oil/filter every 6000 miles or so. How would I find out about which car auctions are coming up and what cars are going through? I think with BCA auctions you can bid via phone or online as well.

Is there much of an A8 community on here, have a few questions I would like to ask.

Pete

TimmyTim
15-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Agree ref extended service intervals, but easily remedied I assume by changing the oil/filter every 6000 miles or so. How would I find out about which car auctions are coming up and what cars are going through? I think with BCA auctions you can bid via phone or online as well.

Is there much of an A8 community on here, have a few questions I would like to ask.

Pete

I think it's a must to change the oil on a diesel around the 6-8k using a 507 00 oil... If your near a Costco you can pick up Castrol Edge 5w-30(507 00) for £11 for 3Ltrs... A bargin as these will cost you £16 for 1Ltr at the motor factors...

If you go on the BCA web site you can have a look at all the sites and cars that are going under the hammer! You can bid online if you hold an account! But I've seen some awful cars that have gone through that were bid on and won by an internet bidder! If he'd seen the car in the flesh with bald tyres and scratched paint work I don't think he would have been so quick to have clicked!...

Not sure about the A8 comunity on here, as I tend to look at the A6 3.2 FSI threads allot of the time...

Hope you find a nice A8 :approve:

Gerbil
17-08-2008, 10:34 PM

Pete

Service intervals are a problem with the A8. On my A6 it was simple to push the service buton and get an estimate of the next service. My A6 1.9TDI went about 14k between services.

The A8 has no indicator, it warns when you have 1k miles, or one month before the car needs a service. I had to ask my dealer to connect their computer to find out how long I had before a service.

Amazing prices for an A8, I paid a lot more at an Audi dealer!!