PDA

View Full Version : Attention It could have been to late!!!

TimmyTim
11-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I've just change the manuel gearbox oils on both my A6 3.2 FSI and my Polo TDi on sat morning! The A6 has 65k on the clock and the Polo had 130k on it.

The A6 takes from re-fill 3.2 Ltr of oil and the Polo 2.0Ltr!(no leaks on either box) You'd expect that when you drained the oil there should be around about that quantity of oil in there! NO chance!!!:mad:

I measured the oil comming out of the A6 at 2.4 Ltr and the Polo had just shy of 1Ltr in it! So just a quick word of warning! It might be an idea to check/change your box oil if you've not done it for a while...

Both cars are as smooth as silk now, and I decided to use VAG oils in the boxes as I didn't want to have any problems with oil specs/ GL4/GL5 etc...

:beerchug:

paul b
11-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Might be time to have a look at my A6 then... but I hate gearbox work. It only takes the slightest bit of muck in there and its adios to your gearbox.

Paul

Clinterous
11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Was thinking of doing mine next week; I can remember someone recommending a 'hypoid' oil once on the forum. What is 'hypoid' gearbox oil about?

paul b
11-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Timmytim, have either of your cars had a clutch, CV boot or a driveshaft out at some point? They can lose oil like this and it's sometimes the case that a lazy mechanic doesn't top it up.

Paul

TimmyTim
11-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Timmytim, have either of your cars had a clutch, CV boot or a driveshaft out at some point? They can lose oil like this and it's sometimes the case that a lazy mechanic doesn't top it up.

Paul

Hi Paul...

Nope, both cars have never had any kind of that work on them. The Polo is a driving school car and still has the same clutch/gearbox in it from new! I didn't have the front brake pads changed till 67k on the clock! Nice progressive braking :D

paul b
11-08-2008, 10:31 PM
67k on brake pads. And it's a driving school car ? Crikey !

What mileage is it on ? The Polo that is.

Paul

TimmyTim
11-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Was thinking of doing mine next week; I can remember someone recommending a 'hypoid' oil once on the forum. What is 'hypoid' gearbox oil about?

I think the thing to look for is the GL number! Weather you need a GL4 or GL5 spec oil. I'd always try and use a full syn oil in the box, as it's a pain in the A*s to do and you might as well use a good oil...

I'd go for a VAG oil specified in your owners manuel, as I've had allot of conflicting advice to what grade/spec oil my gearbox needed! I was going to use Red line oil when I read allot of reports suggesting that when the oil was cold it was difficult to select 1st gear!

I was also told that some gearboxes don't like it and it's best to stick with the VAG oils! So rather than knacker up a box with an oil that may or may not do the job, it was safer just to go with the part number in the handbook...

TimmyTim
11-08-2008, 10:45 PM
67k on brake pads. And it's a driving school car ? Crikey !

What mileage is it on ? The Polo that is.

Paul

Yer... I was pleased to get that out of the pads :D

The Polo has 130k on it now and still going strong! And its always been serviced with Mobil 1 0w-40 The oil gets dropped evey 6k without fail... Not the VW spec oil it should have had, but after that amount of miles she still sounds as good as when I picked it up :D

paul b
11-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Yer... I was pleased to get that out of the pads :D

The Polo has 130k on it now and still going strong! And its always been serviced with Mobil 1 0w-40 The oil gets dropped evey 6k without fail... Not the VW spec oil it should have had, but after that amount of miles she still sounds as good as when I picked it up :D
Nice to know they're running strong. I got an insurance quote for my 16 year old son the other day (we blagged he was 17 and had a license etc) and it worked out at £3930 for a Polo SDI. Yes an SDI not a TDI. :(

That was scary.

Paul

TimmyTim
12-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Nice to know they're running strong. I got an insurance quote for my 16 year old son the other day (we blagged he was 17 and had a license etc) and it worked out at £3930 for a Polo SDI. Yes an SDI not a TDI. :(

That was scary.

Paul

Thats not good at all! Crazy money :mad: The "Pass Plus" brings it down once they got through it all! But still won't take a allot off the price...

Happy motoring in the UK eh? :(

paul b
12-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Crazy. I really, really wouldn't want to put him on my insurance, but with the way it's heading...

Besides, just as a matter of interest, we got a quote for a VW Fox 1.2 Urban. Insurance group 1. Yes, 1. The quote... £3200. It's in group 1 for 'swear's sake ! :mad:

An A2 which was what he and I liked, would cost £4000, haha, no chance my son !

Paul