PDA

View Full Version : Mk5, RCD300. What options are there?

GarJE
11-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Basically, the bass response out of the stock H/U and speakers is diabolical to say the least.

What would be the easiest way of improving this while keeping the factory type H/U's?

I've been down the road of sub-woofers with previous cars, which works but isn't really an elegant solution.

I've heard of running an amp between the stock H/U and stock speakers. Wouldn't this just make the bass more muddy?

Do I really need to change the speakers? If so, what sizes are they?

A lot in info, but I'm sure someone will be able to show me the way!

Another thing; Do the newer stock H/U (e.g RCD 500 Mp3 etc) have better amplifiers? Could I just swap mine with one of these?

ashadam
11-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Basically, the bass response out of the stock H/U and speakers is diabolical to say the least.

What would be the easiest way of improving this while keeping the factory type H/U's?

I've been down the road of sub-woofers with previous cars, which works but isn't really an elegant solution.

I've heard of running an amp between the stock H/U and stock speakers. Wouldn't this just make the bass more muddy?

Do I really need to change the speakers? If so, what sizes are they?

A lot in info, but I'm sure someone will be able to show me the way!

Another thing; Do the newer stock H/U (e.g RCD 500 Mp3 etc) have better amplifiers? Could I just swap mine with one of these?

I think firstly you need to start with ditching the RCD 300, I am sure they fit this unit so people go for the more expensive ones. We just recently changed to the MFD2 only went that way because the RCD 300 is so bad.

VW Double DIn Head unit's are plug and play so you could easliy swap to RCD 500, although from my understanding the only difference with the 2 untis is the 6 disc cd changer in RCD 500 so dont expect better sound.

descb600f
11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
If you stick an amp between your head unit and your speakers your gonna kill the speakers as they are only rated to take what the stereo can put out.
Your looking for a new headunit (aftermarket) and a speaker upgrade.
The speakers are 17cm (6.5") and one of the hundreds of head units single or double.
Be aware there is no switched live going to the stereo so your looking at finding a switched live from somewhere else (goodluck I never found one easy to get to) or a CAN-BUS adaptor (£50 ish) or having to power down the head unit manually everytime.
I ended up putting a switch in line on the live line and this acts as my switched live, I just push the switch when I want the radio on or off.
It helped I have a single DIN unit and a cubby hole underneath to hide the switch in.

GarJE
12-08-2008, 01:22 AM
What do you think of this as a start?:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/images/fh_p80bt_l_medium.jpg

It's a double DIN, which should look pretty OEM within a facia adaptor.

Paul_mkV_golf
13-08-2008, 06:43 PM
smart looking unit, bit of blue too to retain the look of the OEM Head unit. How much?

I wouldn't mind an aftermarket upgrade as I'm tired of the limitations of the OEM units... no where to plug an ipod/mp3, not the best sound either!

GarJE
13-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Cheapest I've seen it is on ebay, here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/08-Series-New-Pioneer-FH-P6050UB-Double-Din-Car-Stereo_W0QQitemZ270265188879QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em270265188879&_trkparms=72%3A1089%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

GDEvans
16-08-2008, 11:46 PM
If you stick an amp between your head unit and your speakers your gonna kill the speakers as they are only rated to take what the stereo can put out.

Highly unlikely that you will blow your speakers by adding an amp. Most damage to speakers occurs when you get clipping, caused by turning up an underpowered amp too loud. When you turn up the volume, you get distortion. If you were to look at the waveform you would notice that in the loud bits, the normally smooth wave shape is chopped off. This is the distortion, and it is that which normally damages speakers.

If you look at high end speaker manufacturers brochures (I mean proper hifi not cars) many of them specify a minimum amplifier power.

I have found the Golf speakers to be pretty good (I have the 10 speaker system in my car). Certainly they are better than my old Focus, and better than the component Pioneer speakers I fiited to the Focus. My complaint - which I will fix when I have time - is that the whole door card vibrates when the volume is up a bit. Hold the door cards tight against the doors and the sound is great!

GDEvans
16-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Cheapest I've seen it is on ebay, here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/08-Series-New-Pioneer-FH-P6050UB-Double-Din-Car-Stereo_W0QQitemZ270265188879QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em270265188879&_trkparms=72%3A1089%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

I would be very wary of buying this one on ebay. The UK model is the FH-P80BT - I believe this is the US model. There is no mention of Bluetooth for your phone which is present in the UK model. Plus it claims to have Dolby B NR - I haven't seen this since tape decks died out!!! Plus I don't know what frequencies the US use for radio broadcasts. Looks dodgy to me.

I looked at buying this stereo. At the moment I have put my upgrade plans on hold, but will probably go for this one in the next couple of months. It is the only one I have found that vaguely matches the Golf interior, but doesn't look too stealable!

descb600f
17-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Highly unlikely that you will blow your speakers by adding an amp. Most damage to speakers occurs when you get clipping, caused by turning up an underpowered amp too loud. When you turn up the volume, you get distortion. If you were to look at the waveform you would notice that in the loud bits, the normally smooth wave shape is chopped off. This is the distortion, and it is that which normally damages speakers.

If you look at high end speaker manufacturers brochures (I mean proper hifi not cars) many of them specify a minimum amplifier power.

I have found the Golf speakers to be pretty good (I have the 10 speaker system in my car). Certainly they are better than my old Focus, and better than the component Pioneer speakers I fiited to the Focus. My complaint - which I will fix when I have time - is that the whole door card vibrates when the volume is up a bit. Hold the door cards tight against the doors and the sound is great!

Having just fitted an Alpine IDA-X100 and now in need of new speakers as these are crackling and popping adding an amp to standard Golf speakers will almost defiantly blow them as the only point of adding an amp would be to increase the power to them.

Having ripped the magnets off the back of the cones on a set of Hi-Fi Speakers in the past with a slightly overpowered amp for the speakers it is very much possible.

(80W speakers 100W amp)

ashadam
17-08-2008, 09:27 PM
What do you think of this as a start?:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/images/fh_p80bt_l_medium.jpg

It's a double DIN, which should look pretty OEM within a facia adaptor.

Nice head unit but looks nothing like oem, can you not go with one of the new units ie 510?

GDEvans
17-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Having just fitted an Alpine IDA-X100 and now in need of new speakers as these are crackling and popping adding an amp to standard Golf speakers will almost defiantly blow them as the only point of adding an amp would be to increase the power to them.

Having ripped the magnets off the back of the cones on a set of Hi-Fi Speakers in the past with a slightly overpowered amp for the speakers it is very much possible.

(80W speakers 100W amp)

You have to seriously overpowered to rip the magnets off the back of the speakers. Or play it so loud that you are getting huge amounts of distortion (usually bass).

Adding an amp in between the head unit and speakers will allow a cleaner signal to reach the speakers. If you are playing the original head unit near the max volume you will be getting a lot of distortion. This will damage the speakers.

Fitting a huge amplifier will only damage the speakers if you turn it up a lot louder - playing at a similar volume will give a better sound as the amp is only ticking over and not reaching its limits. It will reveal more music and sound from the source. That is why I use 4 mono 150w RMS (1500w peak) amplifiers bi-amped into my speakers at home. Obviously this will only work with a good source - connecting the amp at speaker level on the output of the VW head unit will not improve musicality (you need a line level connection) - it will just decrease distortion at the speakers.

GarJE
17-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Nice head unit but looks nothing like oem, can you not go with one of the new units ie 510?

Because they are overpriced for what they are, and there's still no guarantee of any better sound quality.

Anyway, this project has been put on hold for me for now. The totally ***** Mk5 of mine now has a leaking radiator.

Froggy
19-08-2008, 01:43 PM
You have to seriously overpowered to rip the magnets off the back of the speakers. Or play it so loud that you are getting huge amounts of distortion (usually bass).

Adding an amp in between the head unit and speakers will allow a cleaner signal to reach the speakers. If you are playing the original head unit near the max volume you will be getting a lot of distortion. This will damage the speakers.

Fitting a huge amplifier will only damage the speakers if you turn it up a lot louder - playing at a similar volume will give a better sound as the amp is only ticking over and not reaching its limits. It will reveal more music and sound from the source. That is why I use 4 mono 150w RMS (1500w peak) amplifiers bi-amped into my speakers at home. Obviously this will only work with a good source - connecting the amp at speaker level on the output of the VW head unit will not improve musicality (you need a line level connection) - it will just decrease distortion at the speakers.

The Man speaketh the truth , I had a 4 x 75w (Proper RMS watts) driving my Mk3 VR6 speakers (Rated at 25w) and they sounded lovely, no clipping or distortion. I've been in the audio trade for nearly 25 years, and trust me distortion is what blows speakers up - NOT too much power.

descb600f
19-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't deny any of that it was just the idea that adding an amp will do nothing, most people would add an amp to give them more power.
I listen to neavy rock and metal but I know what unintended distortion sounds like and that is not what I was doing.
Just tried to make the point didn't want an argument guys.

On a side note I have seen Motorhead overheat a Bass amp on an expensive PA setup within 2 minutes where the same system could happily knock out Dance music all night long.
You don't need to distort to overpower something