PDA

View Full Version : "CD-ROM read error" - Audi A4 Sat Nav Plus

teesah
10-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I keep getting the following error on my 2003 Audi A4 with Sat Nav Plus:

"CD-ROM read error: Please check navigation CD. To clean, please read operating instructions."

I though it might be my original CD that came with the car, so have purchased a new Balupunkt DVD recently , but I continue to get this message.

The main issue is it loses the navigation position, so rendering the sat nav useless. The error can be cleared, and it will eventually find the location and continue to guide.

I suspect it is the DVD read head that may have dirt on it, but the slot to load it is very tight with foam on either side, so I can't imagine a standard CD cleaner would get it, or more importantly come out!

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Issac Hunt
11-08-2008, 08:32 AM
If its losing the nav position maybe there could be a problem with the GPS antenna connection, failing that it sounds like the unit could be on its way out.

teesah
11-08-2008, 01:56 PM
How easy is it to check the connection to the antenna?

I'm hoping this is the reaon as I suspect a replacement to a dead unit will be £££.

Issac Hunt
11-08-2008, 02:35 PM
When it plays up next check how many satelites the unit is recieving. If it falls to zero then the antenna could be faulty - could be a bad connection on the rear of the unit also, take the unit out and check the state of the GPS connector.

Where is your current antenna? Is it on the roof at the rear of the car? You could replace this with an antenna that goes above the glovebox, they are pretty cheap on Ebay.

teesah
11-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I'll check the satellites received.

I don't have an antenna on the roof of the car, so I assume it is built into the screen, or boot?

I've not taken this unit out before, is is difficult to do? I didn't see a "how to" guide in the forum.

Thanks

Issac Hunt
11-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I think a 'how-to' might be overkill! Just insert the removal tools (from your dealer/halfords etc) and pull it out. Your GPS antenna is probably in the roof, near the rear screen - if its knackered just leave it all in there and fit a new one under the dash. Thats much easier and cheaper than lowering the headlining to access your original one.

teesah
11-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I'll give that a go at the weekend, thanks.