PDA

View Full Version : What do we think of the Mk6 then??

dubcruiser
10-08-2008, 09:11 PM
So the first pics of the Mk6 are bouncing round the net and in magazines. What are we all thinking of it??

I reckon it looks ok for a new car though would of liked a bit more change from the Mk5. The front echos Scirroco but I can see the Mk4 in it a bit too. The interior looks like they have just knicked it from the Eos.
Have read that the R32 will not make it in the Mk6 line up but a 265bhp 4 cylinder Turbo 4motion model will replace it. Shame, because the Mk5 R32 in my opinion is a very nice car. The engine and exhaust note give it character and soul.

Will the short life span of the Mk5 effect the residuals of this model?

GarJE
10-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Looks similar to the Mk5, which is good, as I have one.

Short Mk5 lifespan? It's 5 years, the same as the Mk4.

normclarke
11-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Not at all impressed. a cheaper to make Mk5. As I have owned at least one of all the previous incarnations I can honestly say this one won't get the nod. Significant that it has not changed in size though. I was disappointed when they dropped the 1.4 fsi engine in favure of a slightly modded basic 1.4 and see this will still be in the line up. Have to look at Skoda for a replacement.

Cheers,

normclarke

ashadam
11-08-2008, 12:12 PM
I love the look not too far from MK5 design, I reckon it is a winner looks great. I think all second hand residuals will take a hammering due to current economic conditions but diesel depreciation will be far less.

I am not sure If wife will get one when we change car but we are enjoying GT Sport so much I would expect that we with MK6 GT Sport in a couple of years.

dubcruiser
11-08-2008, 04:56 PM

The Mk4 life span was 7 years, 1997 - 2004. The Mk5 will only just get in to its 5th year, 2004 - 2009....

ashadam
11-08-2008, 05:21 PM
The Mk4 life span was 7 years, 1997 - 2004. The Mk5 will only just get in to its 5th year, 2004 - 2009....

Correct me If I am wrong but they are still using the same chassis, what the hell have they be doing in 7 years.

dubcruiser
11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
I would say the Mk6 is more of a facelift than a new car plus the platform it uses is used on serveral other models in the VAG range so best left alone.

I think the emphasis is more on production cost cuts, plus an improvement in interior quality. The Mk5 was always put down for its poorer interior quality compared to the Mk4...

ashadam
11-08-2008, 05:59 PM
[quote=dubcruiser;220587]I would say the Mk6 is more of a facelift than a new car plus the platform it uses is used on serveral other models in the VAG range.

I would have to agree with that although I still think it looks good, I've seen a few pictures of GTI not sure If they are photoshop or not but looks cool.

descb600f
12-08-2008, 01:13 AM
It is a facelift, it has some of the Scirroco about it and an Eos interior.
Hardly a big styling job for them was it

maisbitt
12-08-2008, 01:17 PM
The journalists are calling this the Mk6, but is it really? very little has changed, it's all facelift stuff. Slightly better interior, minor revisions to the front and back ends, but the overall body shape and size is the same. The biggest time/cost saving measure is the introduction of the simplified multi-link rear suspension unit with around 40% of the individual components that the current one has. 5 years is what most would consider to be mid-life for a generation of car. I think this is more of a Mk5.5 than 6.

I hope the new supension is better than the current one - mine creaks and pops in much the same way as a dislocation of the shoulder when it goes around a bend and direction changes (such as going around a roundabout and then turning off) - anyone else get that on their Mk5?

Red 2
14-08-2008, 06:06 PM
As a forner MK V GT 170 owner and with a 'Match' still owned by my wife, I really hoped that VW would ape the GT/GTi front but no and at first glance IMPO it is in general too similar to the Mk V for a car that has to last 5 years(?) in the showroom.

Interior looks like a much needed improvement but with key internal dimensions so similar yo the MKV and the external styling so similar as well, it looks more like the MkV's cancelled mid life update rather than an all new car.

Wonder what the forthcoming all new A3 will be based on?

mikolo
16-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Think the mkk6 is a fitting evolution from the mk5; the exterior has been touched up and the interior tarted up with more toys. So all in all a good car, I’m not sure I’ll be having one cuz I already splashed out on the mk5 and IT STILL OWES ME BIG TIME!!

descb600f
01-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Bought What car this week and they have pics and an article.

There calling it more like a Mk5.5 and I think there about right.

And no R32 what are they thinking of the exhaust note on one of them is fantastic especially when you change the exhaust.

maisbitt
02-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Theres no need for speculative articles in the mags any more - if you want a proper look at the "Mk6" Golf and all the launch options then just go to VW's german website - they're available to order now, with the 3 trim options and a few engines (which will obviously expand over the next year. No info about a GTI in the new shape on that website yet.

ashadam
02-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Theres no need for speculative articles in the mags any more - if you want a proper look at the "Mk6" Golf and all the launch options then just go to VW's german website - they're available to order now, with the 3 trim options and a few engines (which will obviously expand over the next year. No info about a GTI in the new shape on that website yet.

About time too good find!

coolio
01-10-2008, 11:55 AM

Is it? I have a 98 Mk4 GTI Turbo and my parents a 97 Mk4. I didn't think the Mk5 came in until 04?

For the record, I love the Mk6 GTi and if I hadn't just bought an A4 Cab I would be going for it. Kinda makes the Scriocco redundant imho.

descb600f
01-10-2008, 08:42 PM
The Scirocco carries it's weight lower how does the Golf GTi make the Scirocco redundant.
It's going to handle better, not sure about the internal spec is the Scirocco going to be a little more plush?