PDA

View Full Version : Cant find switch ignition...no 75x

a4_jim
10-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Strip the car to find the 75x and was shocked to see only three live wires on bus bar. Is the 75x point only for the B5 and not B6?

I've metered the 3 empty spaces in the drivers side fuse box but found all are live. Does anyone know where I can find a switched live that doesnt share with anything else on the car e.g. fuel pump.

Many thanks

J

Issac Hunt
10-08-2008, 07:08 PM
My B6 had a 75x terminal, if you havent got one or cannot find it, why not just tap into an ignition live from the fusebox?

a4_jim
11-08-2008, 02:10 AM
Hi

I metered the three spares and a few shared fuses but all were live. Must I tap into a shared fuse, prefer to splice a wire if no other options left.

Took a few pictures of the area under my drivers side area to show what I have. Sorry about the poor quality but was taken at night with my mobile phone without flash plus a torch. The unmarked 3 posts on the bar bus are all live.

Can I ask on the A4 does one need to wait for xx time before a live ignition goes "off"? Reason I ask is because I metered the cigarette socket and thats live even after ignition is off? :confused:

Thanks

J

My B6 had a 75x terminal, if you havent got one or cannot find it, why not just tap into an ignition live from the fusebox?

Issac Hunt
11-08-2008, 08:25 AM
The Cig lighter is always live. My B6 def had a 75x terminal as thats where I fitted my road angel to. However my B7 doesnt have one so when I fitted my road angel to this car I just tapped into an ignition live feed from the rear of the fusebox. I used the reverse light fuse and have had no problems in over a year of usage.

As long as what ever you intend to power doesnt draw a huge current you should have no problems. If it does draw a large current then of course it will be better to wire in a relay to power it. The road angel I have draws very little current so its no problem for me.

a4_jim
11-08-2008, 08:28 AM
No 75x for sure as I looked everywhere under the drivers side area.

I will take your advise and use the reverse light for my radar install.

Thanks again

J

The Cig lighter is always live. My B6 def had a 75x terminal as thats where I fitted my road angel to. However my B7 doesnt have one so when I fitted my road angel to this car I just tapped into an ignition live feed from the rear of the fusebox. I used the reverse light fuse and have had no problems in over a year of usage.

As long as what ever you intend to power doesnt draw a huge current you should have no problems. If it does draw a large current then of course it will be better to wire in a relay to power it. The road angel I have draws very little current so its no problem for me.

a4_jim
19-08-2008, 04:10 AM
Noticed that the reverse light shares the same fuse with the multitronic gearbox which is something I prefer to leave alone. Took the switched ignition from the 5A headlight leveling system which is a standalone fuse, works a treat.

Thanks for the tip

J