PDA

View Full Version : Smoking R reg A3 - help required

Shahid
22-01-2007, 07:13 PM
My R reg Audi A3 seems to let out a gush of black or dark grey smoke every now and then.... any ideas why this mite be..... i'm a new comer to this site so all help will be appreciated ..... thanks

RickT
22-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi,

Which engne you got in it??

If is a diesel.. yes they can let out a cloud if you put the power down hard once in a while!

RickT

Shahid
23-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Its a petrol..... 1.6.... are they supposed to do that.....thanks

Eshrules
24-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Its a petrol..... 1.6.... are they supposed to do that.....thanks

erm, 'tis an R reg, your talking a 9 year old car there m8, what mileage has the car done? how often does the smoke ploom out, is it just when your booting it or is it just randomly?

Shahid
24-01-2007, 07:47 PM
its on 87,000 but with full service history, a friend of mine has and older audi than myself (ALSO PETROL) but his doesnt do it ..... i was just wondering if its something that could be a cause for concern if not dealt with at an early stage.....it just does it randomly or when i floor the accelerator sometimes....cheers.

RJS_90q
26-01-2007, 12:14 AM
Could it be after slowing down whilst still in gear ? (overrun). For example, you slow down for a bend and as you exit the bend you accelarate again and you see the smoke at this time ?

If so, it is possibly valve stem seals, with age and use these can change elasticity / become worn allowing oil to slide past the seals into the cylinders.

You should ensure that you keep checking your oil level.

Hope that this helps

Shahid
27-01-2007, 06:54 PM
yeah ur right, i will look into thats and get it checked...thanks man....

Shahid
31-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi Guys,

My audi seems to be having intermittent problems for the last couple of weeks i need to know if anyone has had the same problem, basically every couple of days i have to keep refilling the oil but there is no sign of oil leaks plus add more water as the temperature light comes on and so does the oil light after i add the two things it's fine for a couple of days then back to the same thing......and ideas as to what might be causing this problem i have changed the breather pipe on it already.