PDA

View Full Version : Question A/C Air Compressor - Options

Chris_J
09-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi everyone.

Took my car into Awesome GTI this morning for a re-gas. Unfortunately, they informed me that the compressor was knackered. The guy told me that some part of the clutch assembly was missing and therefore was not engaging. He said that unfortunately, it was time for a new compressor.
I've had a bit of a scout around eBay, and there is a clutch kit available for my compressor. Apparently, the fault with mine is a common one, so could it be that I just need a new clutch mechanism?

If it does come to a new compressor, again eBay is throwing up quite a lot of kit. Would you recommend going all out and buying a brand new unit, or should a second hand unit do fine?

Also, what would be a good price for a new/2nd unit?

Thanks in advance.

iforland
10-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I had a similar problem with my 130 gt tdi, the whole of the clutch assembly was actually missing, leaving a shaft with a thread on the end stick out in the middle of the remaining pulley.

I was a bit ****** off because the so called aircon experts had spent 3 hours regassing the whole system only then to tell me I needed a new compressor, oh and that will cost you £85 for what we have done!!!

Anyway, I also looked at the possibility of just purcahsing a clutch kit, thinking it would save the effort of degassing and then regassing. Again I noted that there were kits on ebay (Note the sanden model I have has 2 different fitting for the clutch, woodruff key or splines. Now that's important because when I looked at mine there was neither!!! Closer inspection showed that the splines had all almost been completely worn away.

Final conclusion was a new compressor from ebay, cost be £175, I did find a useful conpany in Glous who would have done one for £200:

www.autoairglos.net/ (http://www.autoairglos.net/)

Also found out that kwikfit do an aircon regas for £45, and if they make no difference they won't charge you a penny.

Chris_J
10-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Wasn't so bad for me as Awesome didn't charge me a penny. They just spent about an hour regassing, went to test it and told me the compressor was naff. I would have been annoyed if they charged me, as they should have tested it first really.

Anyway, cheers for the great advice. Mine is exactly as you describe. Clutch missing from the front with a bare thread sticking out. I must say I did notice it, but I thought nothing of it since I never knew what it was supposed to look like!

I'll have a look now to see if I can see a keyway or spines on the shaft. If not, then as you say, looks like new compressor time.

So the £200 from Auto Air you mention, was that for a brand new compressor? The 2nd hand ones on ebay are around £150-170, which I think are just breakers, are most of them tend to have 2-3 in each auction. I may just swing by a local breakers and may get it cheaper.

I'd pay £200 if it was a new one though.

iforland
10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
not sure if it was a brand new unit or a reconditioned unit, but they came with a 12 mnoths guarantee, they definitely were not used units.