PDA

View Full Version : First hello and question

jconnelly
09-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Everyone,
Arrived here looking for some help with the front suspension of my '98 Passat. Bought the kit for the full replacements and have decided to put in new shocks while I have it all apart. Would someone be kind enough to send me the sequencing for this so I avoid any missteps. Also, the hex bolt through the wishbone for attachment of the upper arms has resisted some pretty vigorous efforts to remove. I only have a propane torch and I'm thinking I'm not getting it hot enough. Any ideas there? Klann has a tool for $537!! May need a nuclear weapon of sorts. I've done a search in the forums but didn't find anything. Perhaps I'm not entering the right keywords.
Any help would certainly be appreciated.
Regards from Maryland,
John
nstzlog@hotmail.com

kenney
09-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi John The bolt in question can be a nightmare,the Klann tool is not much help,the only solution is heat and a heavy hammer,with the chance of distroying the wishbone joint,but there is no other solution

jconnelly
11-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Kenney,
Nightmare indeed! I had a few other words for it over the weekend.
Looks like I have to drop the sub-frame to get the lower real link off.

kenney
11-08-2008, 08:11 PM
you do not have to drop the sub frame the strut will lift clear,just be careful not to damage the gaitor,the lower bolt on the strut will punch out,and when replacing it put it in the opposite way

jconnelly
12-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Hey Kenney,
First, let me confess that I may well have far more tools than brains. I don't know what you mean by "gaitor" The strut and all the link arms are out with the exception of the lower rear. The head of the bolt doesn't have near enough clearance to get that link off. Are you saying to twist the link to angle the bolt and punch it out, then re-install the new bolt in the opposite direction? Pic attached.
Kenney, needless to say, I am very, very grateful for your advisements.
John

jconnelly
12-08-2008, 02:02 AM
Pic didn't attach. I'll try again.

MalcQV
12-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I can't help but feel your pain. Going through a similar thing on an old Ferrari Mondial. I have spent 2.5 days trying to remove a bottom bolt that goes through the lower wishbone and shock absorber. I think it is made of diamond. I am now about to remove the whole lower wishbone and get the thing on the bench.:zx11:

kenney
12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
The bolt i was talking about was the bolt on the bottom, which, bolts the strut to the front link as i said you do not have to remove the links to remove the strut,If you wish to remove the rear link THEN you have to loosen the sub frame to get THAT bolt out.The gaiter i mentioned is the rubber covering on the velocity joint,but since you have removed the links then that will not be a problem