PDA

View Full Version : Worn Out Interior Trim

goose892
22-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi

I’m totally new to this forum business, so please forgive me if I do anything wrong!!
I have just purchased a 1 previous owner, 2002 A4 1.9tdi with only 42000 miles and a full VAG service record, that exterior wise is absolutely immaculate.
My only issue with the car, and probably why I got it for such a bargain (£9000 with a 12 month warranty thrown in) is that the interior is a little untidy.
It’s like the coating (a black substance) has scrapped off leaving some of the switch’s & buttons, particularly the hazard warning light button, and the buttons for the air con unit looking very scruffy!!

Does anybody know if I can just replace the buttons, or do I have to get completely new parts?

For example, I don’t really want to but a complete air con control unit, just if the buttons look scruffy?

Would really appreciate anyone’s comments or thoughts on this matter

Many thanks in advance

Ian

RickT
22-01-2007, 07:46 PM
i looked at it for the air con + and - buttons...and needed a full unit.. but im sure there must be some one out there thats makes these!!

however mines not bad at all and i have done double the millage.. which buttons are most affected??

Has your Radio ones also stated going??

RickT

JR001
22-01-2007, 08:19 PM
My 'CD' button on my concert cd player suffers from this. I discovered that it is easily scratched when you presse the buttons with your finger nails as opposed to your fingers. Your previous owner probably did this by habit. I have since revised my button-pressing technique while driving!!!!!

As for replacement buttons I'm not sure. I look forward to hearing others' advice on this also.
But to prevent it happening to other buttons, DON'T USE FINGER NAILS.

If no buttons can be replaced cheaply then I may have to resort to matt black paint or black Tippex if there is such a thing.

onzarob
22-01-2007, 08:46 PM
I was speaking to a chap fiting a phone car kit to my A4. and he notice a small patch peeling around the gearstick. He said that Audi coats the surfaces with a translucent rubber to give it a better feel (No problem with that) But some of the cockpit shines actully attack it and cause it to peel.

So I only use a damp cloth to clean my dash now.

Rob :biglaugh:

patrick
24-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Unfortunately the Audi's suffer from this. Mine is doing that on the face of the radio...fortunately I was able to clean up the looks with my nail on mine. This stuff goes through a lot the interior...all you can do is replace the part IF your Audi is under warranty and you see this....make Audi buy you a new one. This is covered under their warranty.

I like the comment on the solvents....I will only use a damp cloth from here on as well.

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com