PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T: Low running temp

A4Chris
08-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Guys

Would appreciate your suggestions on the following. Water temp gauge has recently started to sit at around 65 to 70 degrees (max) and falls to the bottom of the guage when going fast on the motorway (pointing towards failed thermostat?). This has been joined by the revs rising to 2000rpm when starting from cold before settling down to idle (pointing to faulty temp sendor?).

HOWEVER - Temp sendor and thermostat were both replaced by me with new ones from GSF last year. Car had been running fine for months with these until a couple of weeks ago when problems described above started.

Oil temp is normal at around 90 to 100 degrees.

2nd thermostat and temp sendor within the year required do we think or any other explanations?

STEWY L
08-08-2008, 10:33 PM
i would go for a genuine replacement temp sendor.
very very rare for two components to both fail at the same time.
regards,
stewy.

lucianus
09-08-2008, 01:27 AM
hi. i have a similar problem on my 1.8se just that the coolant gauge never goes above 90. that is right in the midle of the scale. it doesn't matter how hot the weather is, it doesn't matter how hard i push it it just won't go above 90. of course it goes down under 90 if on motorway or colder weather but it won't go above 90. is this normal? i think that maybe something is blocking the needle or other mechanical problem. cheers

A4Chris
10-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Guys

Would appreciate your suggestions on the following. Water temp gauge has recently started to sit at around 65 to 70 degrees (max) and falls to the bottom of the guage when going fast on the motorway (pointing towards failed thermostat?). This has been joined by the revs rising to 2000rpm when starting from cold before settling down to idle (pointing to faulty temp sendor?).

HOWEVER - Temp sendor and thermostat were both replaced by me with new ones from GSF last year. Car had been running fine for months with these until a couple of weeks ago when problems described above started.

Oil temp is normal at around 90 to 100 degrees.

2nd thermostat and temp sendor within the year required do we think or any other explanations?

UPDATE: Finally got around to sorting this (just bought our first house so car not getting full attention at the moment!). Turned out to be a failed temp sensor. Quite surprised that one I bought from GSF failed within the year. Thought GSF were good and supplied OEM spec parts? Hopefully just a one off? Anyway, at £14.00 for a new sensor I can't really grumble!

Cheers