PDA

View Full Version : Which tyres?

AudiSport
22-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi guys,

Really have to get some new tyres for my car very soon, however I'm just not 'up' on tyres and which brand I should go for.

I'm looking to pay middle of the road prices so I'm looking at Dunlop P6000's, Brigstones etc etc. However I really like the 'RIM PROTECTION' some of the tyres come with like the AVON ZZ3/ ZV3 as my girlfrind likes curbs.. However are these AVON's any good, or should I look else where?
Cheers guys.

Mav2006
22-01-2007, 02:45 PM
I had Bridgestone as original fit on my Passat spt, they lasted over 30k, so I replaced them with the same. I would try to find a good local indp instead of the big multinationals

Eshrules
22-01-2007, 03:22 PM
i could well get slated for this, but i swear by hancooks, they are a korean producer and a budget tyre, but i had them on my last car and ill be buying a full set for my golf in march. they wear well and fairly cheap to get hold of :beerchug:

hoops1961
22-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi. I do quite high mileage and therefore wanted a tyre that would last. Consensus at that time was the Michelin Pilot Premacy was a good tyre - seemed quite expensive though, until a friend suggested Costco, which I could become a member of through work. Did this and saved a packet!!

RickT
22-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I have ran a few over time and the Michelin Pilot's have alway been the best for milage - i got 20K.. yes you pay the extra cost.. for higher milage...

However recently i have got a cheaper pair.. Dunlop SP Sport - managed to get them for £70.00 each.. yes i got 15K from them.. so nearly half the price of the Pilot's and 3/4 the distance... the milage v cost ratio looked good to me so i have stayed with them..

Heres the website... also... im not sure if the marketing "Audi A4" picture sold them to me also!!! (The wonders of advertising!!)

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyres/car/searchResults/SPSport01/

Good in Wet and dry..

RiCKT

onzarob
22-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi. I do quite high mileage and therefore wanted a tyre that would last. Consensus at that time was the Michelin Pilot Premacy was a good tyre - seemed quite expensive though, until a friend suggested Costco, which I could become a member of through work. Did this and saved a packet!!

My car got these tyres on and they've done 10k already and they have plenty of life in them yet...worth the extra IMO

Rob :biglaugh:

AudiSport
23-01-2007, 09:26 AM
I have ran a few over time and the Michelin Pilot's have alway been the best for milage - i got 20K.. yes you pay the extra cost.. for higher milage...

However recently i have got a cheaper pair.. Dunlop SP Sport - managed to get them for £70.00 each.. yes i got 15K from them.. so nearly half the price of the Pilot's and 3/4 the distance... the milage v cost ratio looked good to me so i have stayed with them..

Heres the website... also... im not sure if the marketing "Audi A4" picture sold them to me also!!! (The wonders of advertising!!)

Good in Wet and dry..

RiCKT

Thanks for the link Rick. So, are they as quiet as they say they are? And have they got the raised alloy protection wall?

Cheers

Teutonic_Tamer
26-02-2007, 10:28 PM

Good in Wet and dry..

Hmmmm . . .

I havn't actually tried the SP 01s, but the Dunlop SP SportMaxx really are a truely awful tyre, and the VW dealers are aware of a number of complaints from new GTI owners. They are hard, giving a harsh ride. They break away in corners without any warning. They suffer terribly with aquaplaining. Traction and braking grip is also poor, letting go quite easily. Their only redeeming factor seems to be lack of noise, but that is no consolation for just how appauling they are. In fact, I borrowed a VW Touran with Michelin Energy (15" I think), and they gave far better grip than my supposed high performance Dunlops!!!!!

Ohh dear - having looked at the web site, the "Hydro-Paddle" spiel on the SP Sport 01 are exactly the same as on the SportMaxx - so I wouldn't have much faith in their wet weather grip!

I really would avoid Dunlop, and look at any of the Michelin range, or Continental.

Rgds

RickT
27-02-2007, 12:41 AM
well i know the good old phrase dunflops.... but i have never than any issue.... apart from when they get to around 3mm in the wet... traction control at 80mph is not good.... but that was in heavy rain...

Put it this way.... i dont hang about while driving and have pushed them hard.. A lot of the time the tyres can work different on each car...

Inregards to noise... i could tell no different with these and the Mich's.. but i never drive with the radio off...........

i guess its trial and error... its your choice,....

RicKT

Teutonic_Tamer
27-02-2007, 10:14 AM
well i know the good old phrase dunflops....

I havn't heard that one for donkeys years! You are showing your age Rick ;) :D

but i have never than any issue.... apart from when they get to around 3mm in the wet... traction control at 80mph is not good.... but that was in heavy rain...

Traction Control . . . as in wheel spin on acceleration - at 80mph??? What is the full spec of your car?? Front wheel drive or quattro, donkey size, and tyre size? What gear is this in , and what revs are you pulling when you induce said dancing of dash warning light? ;)

I actually would find that kind of attribute from a tyre completely unsuitable. I had very similar experiences about 8 years back on a V6 Vectra, which would light up the front wheels in third gear, on arrow straight, but wet dual carriageways, with only gentle acceleration. This was with nigh-on brand new Yokohamas (AVS S1Z, 215/45 ZR17), yes, new boots with 7mm tread, on all 4 wheels (7½mm on the rears). The lack traction was so dangerous, the traction control (Bosch 5/TC ABS) was unable to cope unless I completely lifted of the accelerator pedal. The car would also totally aquaplane at 40mph in standing water, and as for cornering in the wet - forget it. I actually binned them whilst they still had 6½mm on the front and 7½mm on the rear - and changed them for the original Michelin Pilot Sport, the directional ones. The transformation really was astounding, and would not loose traction at all in 2nd gear or above, even with the TC turned off. First gear wheelspin in the wet was achieveable, but you really had to provoke it very hard, and be a real loon with it. Sadly, as with all directional tyres, they started to aquaplane when the tread was around 3mm.

A lot of the time the tyres can work different on each car...

Oh, so true. In fact, Rover group cars (and the equivalent Hondas) were said to prefer Dunlops - I suppose it might have been "Brummy brothers-in-arms" :D

Inregards to noise... i could tell no different with these and the Mich's.. but i never drive with the radio off...........

Ah, but you dont have the glorious soundtrack of a thundering V8 under the bonnet! ;)

i guess its trial and error... its your choice,....

Oh, absolutely, though making the "wrong" choice could have very serious, even fatal consequences!

Rgds

RichieVWV6
27-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi guys,

Really have to get some new tyres for my car very soon, however I'm just not 'up' on tyres and which brand I should go for.

I'm looking to pay middle of the road prices so I'm looking at Dunlop P6000's, Brigstones etc etc. However I really like the 'RIM PROTECTION' some of the tyres come with like the AVON ZZ3/ ZV3 as my girlfrind likes curbs.. However are these AVON's any good, or should I look else where?
Cheers guys.

If you are looking for decent prices and loads of info give etyres a try. Google it for the web address.

Prices are lower than just about anyone (though obviously if you look really hard you will find something cheaper!!!) AND they come to you! No more sitting around in a garage getting tyres fitted!!!

Seriously they do offer a great service.

Regards

Richard