PDA

View Full Version : In car audio question

richjthorpe
22-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

Not sure whether this would be better in here or general chat.

I've got the standard 10 speaker set up in my '03 A4 (2 mids + 2 tweeters in the front, same in the back and the 2 subs) and will be putting a Pioneer head unit in there when I get round to taking out of my other car.

The Pioneer head unit has 2 sets of preouts (Front and Rear or Front and Subs). I was wondering if I would be able to connect the Fronts and the Subs to 2 amps and drive the Rears from the head unit.

I'm going to be putting component speakers in the front and maybe change the subs too. If I could do this, what kind of amps would I need (I know 2 channel for the Fronts but do I need a 4 channel bridged for the subs) ? Would I be able to use one amp that would drive the Fronts and the Subs ?

Cheers,

Richie.

Eclipse car Audio
22-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Hi Richie

How you have suggested (front,subs and head unit for the rears) is probably the best way to go, you could use 2x 2 channel amps and wire the subs in either series or parallel this is assuming you are using single voice coil subs, if you are going to use Dual Voice coil let us know nd I will dig you out the diagrams for those, if you wire in series your amp must be stable at 2 ohm where as in parallel this isn't so important alternatively you could use a 4 channel and wire up in much the same way but again be careful what amp you use most American amps (Kicker, Rockford, Phoenix Gold etc) are usuallly stable to 2 ohm some Jap ones (Pioneer, Kenwood ETC) may not be. I have attached the wiring diagrams for your subs.

Let us know how you get on or if you need any more info

Cheers

Eclipse car Audio

Eclipse car Audio
22-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Only 1 file attached for some reason this is the Parallel one

Cheers

Dansk
22-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I was wondering, if your taking out your Audi radio, what sort is it and do you fancy selling it to me the FM receiver is bust on mine,

Eclipse car Audio
22-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Whats wrong with your FM as it may be the Aerial Amp and not the radio itself

Cheers

Dansk
22-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Ahh.....on FM it crap, for example in my van i pick up Radio1 anywere, in the car i can only get around towns.

Eclipse car Audio
22-01-2007, 09:43 PM
It could well be the amp one easy way of testing is to remove the radio and unplug the aerial now get a test light (pointy screwdriver with croc clip on the other end) poke the pointy end into the aerial socket on radio and dangle the croc clip out of the window or hold up in the air now try tuning the radio (unfortunately about 4 hands for this) if you pick up more stations this way then I would say that the amp has gone. What year is the car?

Cheers

Dansk
22-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi - its 03, i took it down to my local Radio guy, he removed the radio and checked the arial connectionon the back and said "thats fine your fm receiver is bust" so i just thought "f" it i will live with it, on my motor the arial seems to be in the rear windscreen, so weres the amp?

Eclipse car Audio
22-01-2007, 09:53 PM
The receiver is located at the top of the rear window under a plastic trim PM me your email address and i'll send you a picture

Cheers

Dansk
22-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Ok pm'd you,

Thanks for the help, i reckon its that as well.

richjthorpe
23-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Morning all,

Eclipse, thanks for the info. It seems I've got it wrong, there is only one sub in the car (Rear) and the one is the dash is a normal mid for centre fill. I'm thinking about getting 2 amps, one from the front and centre speakers and the other for the rear and sub.

Dansk, only just getting the information at the moment, it could be a couple of months before I get round to doing it. Even then, I might keep the original head unit for when I sell the car. I'll you know.

Thanks,

Richie.