PDA

View Full Version : Question Golf GTi Cambelt Change

amatty
08-08-2008, 11:23 AM
I have a 1999 2litre GTi which has done 97000 miles and has never had a new cam belt according to the service records !!!!

Some say it does not need changing until 120000 miles, but I think 60000 miles or 4 years is the latest thinking.

Can anybody advise please on the latest advice on this and roughly what it would cost.

Are pattern parts for the belt, tensioner, water pump etc. from for instance Swedish, German and French OK or should I ask for genuine VW items which will cost more.

PS I have asked this before but I had posted it in the wrong section

Sorry and Thanks

peterb1
08-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Hello

If it has not had a cambelt change then get one done quick! It is just not worth the risk of having a cambelt let go. I would say you need to inspect it about every 30000 miles and replace at 60000 just to be on the safe side. Do not wait to 120000 miles 'cos it might not ever get there!!

I have used German and Swedish parts or many years and had no problems (including several cambelts). You need the tensioner as well.

Peter

Crasher
08-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Five years 80K is OK. Also you MUST fit a new water pump.

amatty
08-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks folks - I usually change these myself and have done the rather more tricky cambelt change on my son's V6 Audi A4 two years ago.

However at 72 I am becoming less keen on biggish DIY so have found a local garage where I know the guys are OK who say they will do the job with a new tensioner, water pump etc for £270 ish using VW parts.

I have my doubts about the price, but we will see - I keep dreaming about bent valves and dented pistons in the meantime!!!

Crasher
10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Cam belt kit £56, water pump £34, genuine VAG.

amatty
10-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for your help, I can sort it out now and will probably do it myself - just to prove I'm not past it and to save a bit of pension !!!

I know I have to remove the bumper assembly and swing the radiators out of the way, but it's not too bad a job.