PDA

View Full Version : 2006 A8 - Is the 6 CD Changer supposed to play Mp3's ?

sbuk73
06-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I visited the local Audi garage and specifically the parts department - they were convinced that the CD changer should handle MP3 cds. I have tried all manner of method for cutting an MP3 CD, the changer simply says there is a CD ROM on the MMI display but then changes to the next disc position.

They did say that I might need a software update to handle it but most of the new A8's should support MP3 playback, anyone else have an idea about this much appreciated.:confused:

a8 tech
06-08-2008, 08:39 PM
colour mmi update to 5150 sw version for mp3 format.The dealer can do this.

Check your sw version select radio then hold down set up and return until the screen changes to the hidden menu and select cd/mp3 media and post your sw version

Updating with cd 8T0906961 brings you to the latest sw versions avaliable

CONTROL UNIT = SW 5150.

CD = SW0100.MP3 = SW0390.

RADIO = SW0620.

STANDARD AMP = SW0100/270.

BOSE SW = 0150.

PHONE PREP = SW0950.

BLUETOOTH = SW0960.

AMI = SW0840

FACTORY PHONE = SW0770.

TV TUNER = SW310

HYBRID TV = SW440

DAB = SW0830

sbuk73
06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks for that - I will be visiting them again Thursday and see if I can get the disc, if not I'll see if I can book it in ;....obviously I will check it tomorrow as you said to verify what version its on. :Blush:

sbuk73
07-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I have sent Mr A8 Tech a mail offline ... Audi dealer messing with me, Grrrr ! I want to get this enabled as soon as possible .... HELP.

a8 tech
07-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Refer to this site and you will be able to down load mmi updates for your issue
http://www.navplus.us/forums/showthread.php?t=6780

sbuk73
07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Mister A8 Tech :P, I have gone to that other site aswell now - have joined etc still trying to find that 5150 link, is someone gonna mail me a link on that site or am i supposed to see it somewhere for members to download in that forum. I have posted a similar question in that MMI discussion folder.

Issac Hunt
07-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I thought you had to replace the changer to gain MP3 playback ability? that was certainly the case for my mates A6, he was told 2006 was the year CD changers gained Mp3 ability and the only way to get this was to replce the changer.

a8 tech
07-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Depends on the part number of the 6 disc changer.Ill double check but there was a sw update that allowed the mp3 to play,i will dig it out but updating the mmi sw versions is worth a shot first.

I shall find the answer after my tea.I see the wise craigy b has found the answer to you problem.O well you need to find a mp3 cd changer on good old flea bay i belive craigy has given you guidance to the correct part number or fit a dension 500 unit and use ipod or retro fit ami and use ipod.Ami is the best system but you need vag com to enable media postion 2 where as dension you can plug and play

sbuk73
07-08-2008, 11:28 PM
I have managed to find a torrent download for the 5150 revision - have burnt a CD for it from a Nero CD image. When I browse the CD the only file I can see on its own describes the components of the CD. The top of the file reads:

release = "H2_HI_EU_K921"
vendor = "Harman/Becker"
variant = "MMI High"
region = "Europe"
PerformEepromUpdate = "true"
skipPatchFileCRC = "true"
MetafileChecksum = "af920a3e"

So I am guessing that the H2_HI_EU_K921 relates to the mention of 5150 in its download description.

The hard bit is done I Guess .... now if you could point me to how to actually apply the CD that would help. I will keep googling to see if I can find instructions somewhere - but anything to speed up the process appreciated :)

sbuk73
07-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Someone from the other forum did get back to me and wrote:

Hello

2006 is borderline of the mp3 changer switchover, but I don't think you have one.

A software update will not fix the mp3 issue, a new CD changer is required that supports MP3.

Simple way to check is to slide out the CD changer and read the part number

Last 3 number = 111 = non mp3
last 3 numbers = 110 = Mp3 cd changer

Also when in update mode like you have above it says "IDC_MP3" or similar and yours doesn't. So no you do not have an mp3 compatible CD changer

So I guess I don't have one :( I will see what I can do about pulling the existing one out to determine if its the MP3 one or not but as they guy says it should say something like IDC_MP3 in the hidden update screen.

a8 tech
08-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Yes Craigyb is spot on.
Remove all the cds from your changer
insert your burned cd into position1 and wait 10 seconds
select radio and then press and hold set up and return until the hidden menu comes up and reads ther update cdrom
right soft touch key selects up date screen
scroll down until you find the prompt to start up date and select ok
leave the engine running or connect a battery charger as this can take 1 hour
the update runs and when it finishes it restarts the mmi
turn the ignition on and off and check all your mmi functions work ie phone and voice control
if you have any issues after the update then the fault memory needs checking as sometimes the update files are corrupted.
if you have vag com save all adaption channels for the display as battery display meter will be erased when you update and you can reset it after the update

please note that some control units can fail when updating but this is rare so i must warn you.

sbuk73
20-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks to everyone for their comments/ and familiarisation with MMI software updates etc ... anyway it seems I will just wait until I can afford the Dension gateway install and get my IPOD back in there .... or unless Audi pull their finger out and restart the selling and install of the Audi AMI kit.

a8 tech
20-08-2008, 03:54 PM
ami is available and i fit them frequently

sbuk73
20-08-2008, 04:01 PM
I appreciate that it must be available to some people - but me being just a driver and someone who can only go by the word of my local dealership they say I cannot have it done - they say there is a software issue or something - what the actual audi reason is behing that story I have not been told.

I'm more than happy for someone to install it for me though :) ..... but I don't know where to get one from and then who is going to fit it - further more I still do not want to be spending stack loads of money on it just to play my ipod.

So how much is the part and how much effort is it to fit - ? :(

a8 tech
20-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Availability of AMI retrofit kit: 4F0 051 592A for the loom
plus the glove box and also the ami unit is about £300 but criagyb will give you a better price.
Yor mmi sw version needs to be 3450 and above to allow ami