PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 2001 Cabrio Short to Earth

unwirklich
05-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Erm I hope I put this in the right area. A forum search found most Cabrio questions placed here.

Sorry If I misplaced.

I have a used 2001 Cabrio that was dying primarily when idling at stop lights, more so when it's moist outside or the tank is lower than 1/2 full. The check engine light would come on when it would die, and it would have power but be unable to start for a few minutes. If you let it sit about 5 minutes, it would start.

Edit: Also forgot, the idle tends to fluctuate just before it dies, and once when it dyed recently we heard an electrical sounding pumping from the back end. Gas gauge also appears to not work correctly while all others do.

I bought a diagnostic code reader off ebay for about 30 bucks and got these codes...

"Injector Cyl. 1-4 Short to Earth" (this was actually 4 codes)
"Tank Breathing Valve N80"
"Leak diag. Pump Tank Short to Earth"
"Secondary Air System Short to Earth"

I had my dad who worked on VW's quite some time ago look for said ground but he can't seem to find one, he thought perhaps it was the oxygen sensor or a short somewhere in the fuel system that he can't find. Any other ideas on how to fix this thing? The nearest dealer is pretty far away I'm trying to avoid the drive with gas prices at 4.89 a gallon.