PDA

View Full Version : A3 Coolant loss

Steved1256
05-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi to everyone. I have recently purchased a nice A3 2.0 TDI Auto. Audi serviced and recent MOT. 75K and had new cam belt kit fitted. Every 300 miles I have to top up the coolant header tank with about .33ltr of coolant. Engine temp normal at all times. No foam residue on dip stick or under oil cap. No oil on surface of remaining coolant in header tank. Have had a pressure check on cylinder, so I am relieved that it isn't the head gasket. No apparent leaks or tell-tale seepage from pipes, hoses or under car in the morning. Water pump seems ok. Any ideas? Thanks Steved

randall977
06-08-2008, 09:30 AM
What age is the car and who did the pressure test? Hopefully it is a leak somewhere easy to fix. I think you should be prepared for bad news though - but lets hope not. If coolant is entering the cylinders or inlet or outlet ports (via a crack) it's possible that there will be no temperature change.

Steved1256
06-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Thank you for the advice. The car was first registered April 04. The pressure test was undertaken by the garage that sold me the car. They are stating that all is well with the head gasket and block, but could not say where the coolant is going?? I have now to LID it - (Let It Develop). In fairness, they have agreed to fix the gasket or block if there is a fault. I just hope that if the worst case happens, it is sooner rather than later and not when I am in mainland Europe. Thanks again.

omegadirective
06-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Just an idea, but maybe get written proof they will repair any faults? Garages have a tendancy to say one thing and do another... :(

Hope it isn't anything serious though!

randall977
08-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I think you probably need to take your car to Audi to get it tested. Sometimes the leak is so small that a 'standard' pressure test won't show up the fault. Audi are very used to head problems with the A3 so can confirm if yours is faulty. it will cost you £50ish but will be well worth it and provide proof to the garage where you bought the car.

I was looking at an A3 in a Co-op garage which had no coolant in the header - I asked if they would repair the head IF it turned out to be gone but they were no committal. Most garages work on a warranty system - at the end of the day you pay for any parts which wear and they pay the rest - around 75%. It is a hassle I'm afraid but better than paying 100% - especially as it can be over £2000!

randall977
12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Did you find anything out?

wigit
01-09-2008, 11:36 PM
i had a similar leak on an 04 tdi when it was about a year old, the guy at audi assist said there was a small leak on some part that given time i have forgotten given it seamed quite random, audi confirmed it and changed it under warranty

whitegoosedown
02-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Hello all

Got in my car this morning (Audi A3 2.0 FSI Sport reg 2003) and the coolant warning light came on. I checked the coolant and it was indeed at the bottom limit. When I bought the car (about 6 weeks ago) the coolant level was above the top limit. So think I must have a leak somewhere.

The coolant temperature gauge doesn't go up to 90. It runs to about 70 but takes a while to get there. This morning it took ages for the needle to move and only maxxed at about 60. Had golf previously and that always without fail ran at 90. Seem to be getting warm air from climate control.

Any ideas? I suppose pressure test would be the first thing.

Cheers

kite
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Hello all

Got in my car this morning (Audi A3 2.0 FSI Sport reg 2003) and the coolant warning light came on. I checked the coolant and it was indeed at the bottom limit. When I bought the car (about 6 weeks ago) the coolant level was above the top limit. So think I must have a leak somewhere.

The coolant temperature gauge doesn't go up to 90. It runs to about 70 but takes a while to get there. This morning it took ages for the needle to move and only maxxed at about 60. Had golf previously and that always without fail ran at 90. Seem to be getting warm air from climate control.

Any ideas? I suppose pressure test would be the first thing.

Cheers
Could be a few things, engine temp sensor not working..making the gauge not read properly
Thermostat stuck open...causing the engine not to reach temp.