PDA

View Full Version : Brakes.......?????

SanderCH
21-01-2007, 12:30 PM
HI,

I am looking to buy some new brakes and would like some high performance one... disks, pads and calipers

ANY IDEA's ?????

Please help (Golf 1.8t ((2001))

devonutopia
21-01-2007, 01:19 PM
What size are standard? My Fabia came with 256mm front brakes which weren't bad as standard, but when I uprated the power a lot, I knew I needed something better. Luckily, the Audi TT 312mm braking system fits right in, and there's a chap on Ebay who sells nearly new kits for about £250. I fitted pagid FR pads instead of the TT oem ones, and now I have a really decent braking system, which also looks the danglies in a 17" alloy.

Beyond that, you're looking at 323mm brembos, and beyond that 8 pot audi RS4 brakes - 360mm+ :D

Boardboy
21-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I fitted a set of black diamond disc from TSR to MKII. Here: http://www.tsr-performance.com/default1.asp
Also a set of pagid pads. Although they were standard size I notice a great improvemnt. It maybe a cheaper option, or they do brake kit conversions. thats a fair bit more.
Good luck
Boardboy

devonutopia
21-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Looks like TSR performance is re-opening too. :D Can't wait as they're also chucking in a 1000hp maha 4wd dyno. :)

For best bang for buck brake upgrade, I say go for the 312mm system, with performance discs and pads. :)

adamss24
21-01-2007, 11:14 PM
You could also buy Porsche front calipers (radial mounted) and get brackets made for them and use audi tt standard discs (312mm x25mm) or get audi s4 discs and have them drilled to fit your hubs(330mm x30mm). There are companies on ebay(MBT Engineering) that can get you mounting brackets and even bells to mate with porsche 911 brake discs and then the car will stop on a penny ! You will need 17" wheels to clear the calipers, though !

SanderCH
22-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Brembo Front Kit - Grooved
Sub-category :BKG - VW
Application :Golf (IV) 1.8i 20V Turbo GTI ; 11/97>

Price : £315.65 inc VAT

I think i will go with these thank for your help just one last question whats the difference with grooved or drilled ?

Cheers again

SanderCH

Eshrules
22-01-2007, 12:49 PM
i could be wrong here, i hope someone will either back me up or correct me, but my understanding of brakes is that the grooved offer better grip than standard discs, whereas drilled offer a better cooling effect and are a lighter disc. not sure how the two differ on actual braking though? i have heard grooved and drilled wear your discs quicker than standard discs though.....

Teutonic_Tamer
01-03-2007, 02:33 PM
or get audi s4 discs and have them drilled to fit your hubs(330mm x30mm).

It would have been handy to state which S4! The B6 S4 has 345x30 front anchors, but they are still inadequate on the S4!!!! :aargh4:

Rgds

Teutonic_Tamer
01-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Let's clear this up, grooved discs offer NO performance advantage.

The makers would have you believe they offer better cooling of the brake pads - that is utter tosh. Better cooling of the brake pads can ONLY be achieved with better cooling air to the brake assembly as a whole, through modified air ducting (or clearing any accumulated crap from any existing ducting). Grooved discs do however increase brake pad wear.

The only purpose grooved discs serv, is to increase the "Chavtastic" factor. :puke:

At the end of the day, if grooved discs DID offer increased brake performance, then why are they never seen in any kind of motorsport, 2 wheels or 4??

Drilled discs are a different matter altogether. Although they do assist marginally with cooling (allowing gasses to mix with those in the central ribs), the primary aim of drilling is two-fold. Firstly, drilling helps elminate any "resonance", therefore it reduces brake squeal. Secondly, the most important reason for drilling is to reduce weight. Any quantifiable reduction of weight (or mass, to be correct), on an unsprung component, offers 4 times the gain of the same loss of mass on a sprung item on a vehicle!

Any more Qs, then the brake doctor will answer away ;)

HTH, rgds.