PDA

View Full Version : Attention Exploding Sunroof

theboywillmott
04-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I was driving to work the other day down the A46, nice and early in the morning - no other cars around when suddenly BOOM my sunroof exploded and shattered outwards. Has anyone else had this problem?

Of course I immediately telephoned VW Assistance who came out to me at the side of the road. The engineer was astonished at what had happened and said that he could clearly see where the sunroof had blown out from. Thus I receieved a tow to the garage. Fast forward to today, I received a telephone call stating that they had looked at my sunroof and deduced that it had been hit my an unidentified object. I found this hard to believe as half the glass is still on the A46 and it defies the laws of physics as surely if hit from the outside the glass would have shattered inwards all over me? So now I am locked in a battle as to how the repair is going to be undertaken - warrently or insurance. :zx11:

MalcQV
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
That sounds scary, glad you are OK. My only guess is the pressure inside the car caused the glass to go outwards rather than in. As for cause :confused:

JohnVR
17-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Have come across this before. Dont back down with your dealer

veedubbora07tdi
23-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Sounds nasty mate, keep us updated, hope it all goes according to plan!

The Fingers
06-10-2008, 03:13 PM
This could have been a 'nickel sulphide inclusion' which in laymans terms is a small air bubble within the glass, it makes the glass unstable and can lead to it exploding at anytime without warning. the only way to test / erradicate this is to have toughened glass heat soak tested, which i would doubt that VW have this done.

All toughened glass is effected by this and unless its heat soak tested any toughened pane could explode.

It usually shows most in roof glass that is half in the sun and half in the shade, one part heats up faster, this little bubble expands and glass goes with an almighty bang.

I would fight on and get a free replacement

Richie5866
04-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I had the same scary experience today. Driving at 60 mph, no other vehicles around then suddenly boom.
My dealer has agreed to cover half the cost however if the sun blind had not been in place it could have been messy!
Will be contacting VW to notify them as there could be a major incident waiting to happen.

CHATTERBOX1
29-03-2010, 05:51 PM
My EOS sunroof has just exploded for no reason at all. Sounded like an excplosion, glass everywhere and it is pouring down with rain.!!! Car is just under a year old, reading others posts, will be ready to do battle.

The Fingers
30-03-2010, 09:19 AM
This could have been a 'nickel sulphide inclusion' which in laymans terms is a small air bubble within the glass, it makes the glass unstable and can lead to it exploding at anytime without warning. the only way to test / erradicate this is to have toughened glass heat soak tested, which i would doubt that VW have this done.

All toughened glass is effected by this and unless its heat soak tested any toughened pane could explode.

It usually shows most in roof glass that is half in the sun and half in the shade, one part heats up faster, this little bubble expands and glass goes with an almighty bang.

I would fight on and get a free replacement

this is the most likely route of attack.

The noise when toughened glass explodes is quite scary YES!!

The above 'nickel sulphide inclusion' phenomenon only become apparent in NON heat soak toughened glass, so if VW say its all heat soaked (which i doubt) then this wont be it.

Good luck with the fight

Richie5866
19-05-2010, 12:52 PM
My EOS sunroof has just exploded for no reason at all. Sounded like an excplosion, glass everywhere and it is pouring down with rain.!!! Car is just under a year old, reading others posts, will be ready to do battle.

I rang Directline who advised the sunroof was covered under the car insurance policy. Had to pay an excess of £75.

I wrote to VW in Germany and UK and received no satisfactory solution.