PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive Cruise

two_paracetamol
04-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Just working out spec and want to keep extras under £4000 :aargh4:

So, Adaptive Cruise or Standard Cruise...

alexcf
04-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Just working out spec and want to keep extras under £4000 :aargh4:

So, Adaptive Cruise or Standard Cruise...

I went for Standard Cruise... The Adaptive Cruise is nice, but basically if someone emergency brakes infront of you, it will slow you down like a gem, but then will beep loudly and just let the car roll... We got the guy at my local garage to test it... Lets just say, the passangers found it rather entertaining, poor guy shat himself. :) To be honest, it would have stalled if it had stopped, so.. :s

Anyway, I've got standard... You can adjust the speed up and down, to the MPH which is fantastic... If you slow the car from 75 to 50mph, you get a strong braking feeling, which is quite amusing the first couple of goes :).

Works for me! :)

B6Andy101
04-08-2008, 04:50 PM
How does a manual handle this scenario . I understand with Multi it will change down, but with Manual ? Stall, loss of power steering and brake servo's. Sounds interesting to say the least.

I went for standard and bagged B+0 and AMI instead. :D

alexcf
04-08-2008, 04:52 PM
How does a manual handle this scenario . I understand with Multi it will change down, but with Manual ? Stall, loss of power steering and brake servo's. Sounds interesting to say the least.

Guh, I got AMI too, then found out I need to pay ANOTHER £30-35 for a ******* iPod cable... :(

Dealer threw it in for me though... :)

AndyH123
06-08-2008, 10:06 AM

Yes, haven't quite tested that scenario to its natural conclusion! I can tell you that you can change up and down gears without cruise cancelling. My 2.0 TDI will cope with 30mph in 6th on a flat piece of road so sometimes you forget about gears..

The braking is both fantastic and slightly worrying - I don't know if the brake lights come on, and this comes to mind when I use it on the motorway to drop from 70 to 50 for roadwork speed cameras. Its quite a severe brake application and I fear for someone behind me getting caught out.

kelvinbishop
06-08-2008, 12:18 PM
When using cruise to slow down from 70 to 50 surely it reduces in 1 mph steps for each press of the stalk. This should mean that you can control the braking by the rate at which you press the stalk. I'm surprised that you can't slow down smoothly. I have never noticed any severe braking when I use it to adjust my speed downwards.

AndyH123
06-08-2008, 01:20 PM
That's actually the technique I tend to use.

However if you hold down the stalk it rapidly drops in steps of 5mph, so you can change the set speed pretty quickly. Its that technique which brings on the heavy breaking.

Conversely, its quite a good "auto boost" when you go in the other direction, somehow feels faster because you're not doing it!