PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating Clutch Pedal

JasonC
21-01-2007, 01:27 AM
I test drove a 2004 Passat 130 TDI (86,000 miles) today and want to buy it, however I am slightly concerned about a vibration through the clutch pedal.

It appears to be there at any speed, but is more noticable when manouvering slowly.

Additionally, there is a small amount of judder on clutch take-up also.

Are these issue that I need to be concerned about - or is the vibration just because its a diesel?

Thanks

gresty
21-01-2007, 09:29 PM
The vibration you feel at the clutch pedal is due to the release bearing on the clutch to be worn out or the bearings could have become dry. Either way the only solution is to rip the gearbox out, replace bearing (and clutch cos you wouldn't want to take the box back out if the clutch failed soon after), stick it back together and will be as good as new. Dont be put off by this though, my Passat has a slight vibration through the pedal, has done 128,000 and has never had a clutch fitted due to my records. Hope this has been a little help.

JasonC
21-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks Gresty.

Sounds like a big job which I don't want to be spending out a grand or so on in addition to the cost of the car in the first place. Probably best to wait for another Passat TDi Estate to come along.

Huweth
22-01-2007, 01:40 AM
If it's a six speed, they are prone to clutch bearing failures. Best to keep waiting for a good 'un.
The judder on take up is the give away.
Good luck!