PDA

View Full Version : Vw Rcd 510

GDEvans
02-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Does anybody have an RCD 510 yet? Have you used it with an ipod? Does it allow you to control the ipod properly - ie. listing all the tracks on the screen and letting you scroll through and pick what you want to listen to?

Teflon
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Here's a review of the RCD510. http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43871 Mine has no iPod option, either on screen or in the manual. The old VW iPod adapter kit is no longer available as a factory-fit accessory. I plug the iPod into the 3.5mm socket in the armrest and use the controls on the iPod. Works a treat.

But...... if you look at the price list for the new Scirrocco it says there is a £20 option for an iPod adapter lead and it seems to indicate that it is iPod compatible.

I conclude that there must be several versions of this radio. One only has the 3.5mm aux-in socket (like mine). The other has the more complicated "Multi Device Interface" that you can plug an iPod or a USB stick into, so long as you have the appropriate adapter lead. As far as I can see, the sexier version is only available on the Scirroco, but as with all things VW, they will make a pig's ear of implementing it throughout the range. On the German price list for most of the models, they offer the option of aux-in socket (free) or Multi Device Interface Socket (€160). This suggests that eventually, the cost of plugging in your iPod and controlling it through the radio will be about £150.

Peter Cork
21-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Has anyone fitted one of these (or its Nav brother the RNS 510) in an Audi?
I ask because I have an Audi with an RNS-E to which I'd like to add an iPod and USB inteface. Dension do some pretty nice products that will do this but the RNS-E won't display track information with any of their systems. (It looks like the only system that will give you track names on the RNS-E is the Alpine system - they do this with what I'd consider to be a 'workaround' (or bodge), by channeling the iPod into a video input. Hmmm.) Dension have indicated to me that the VW RCD 510 WILL allow track listing from a conected iPod. So maybe if I could fit a VW radio in my Audi ...
Any thoughts anyone?

Issac Hunt
21-07-2011, 03:48 PM
You 'could' fit an RNS510 into an Audi but I doubt it would work properly. They arent the same shape for a start so it would look awful in the dash.

VW and Audi use different CAN protocols so it wouldnt interface with your car properly either, ie the DIS display and the mutlifunction controls etc wouldnt bee totally compatible.

I fear you'd end with an expensive paperweight.

You could fit the 2010 RNS-E if you have an A3/TT - Thats supports proper Ipod control with track names on screen etc - just like the VW version. Not a cheap option though.

Peter Cork
21-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Isaac,

Thanks for your thoughts. My car is an A6 Allroad - which means A6, as far as radios and things go. It has a 2008 RNS-E fitted at the moment. I concur that fittment of the wrong shape of head unit wouldn't look too good!!!

The 2010 RNS-E you refer to - is that A3/TT specific or would I be able to fit it in my (A6) car dash?

Given the cost and faff of the other options I've looked at for connection of iPod and USB drive to my 2008 RNS-E, none of which would give me on-screen track listings, the cost of replacing my unit with a 2010 RNS-E probably isn't that far adrift - assuming I can source one other than from Audi, that is ... ?

Regards,

Peter.

Issac Hunt
21-07-2011, 05:54 PM
The 2010 RNS-E you refer to - is that A3/TT specific or would I be able to fit it in my (A6) car dash?

The 2010 model is only for the A3/TT/R8 sadly. The A6 stopped using the RNS-E a few years ago with the advent of the MMI system. The RNS-E from other cars are different shapes. They wouldnt work even if they were the same shape though as the new Ipod system for those cars requires a CAN gateway system which your A6 hasnt got.

Probably easier and cheaper just to buy a few more SD cards and use them instead. Thats what I did after messing about with various other options in mine.

Peter Cork
27-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Isaac,

Although my car is a 2003 model (which originally would have had a single DIN radio head slot), the entire centre console was replaced in 2009 (at vast expense by the previous owner) to accomodate a 2009 RNS-E - which all works quite nicely. Since the RNS-E communicates Nav and MP3 track inoformation to the driver information display, I had assumed that it did this via the CAN BUS - or am I wrong? Is a CAN Gateway something different? Please forgive my ignorance ...

Following investigation of RNS-E and Gateway functions and options, I have had two conflicting reports:

1) Upgrade of my 2009 RNS-E with a 2011 Nav DVD (which includes a firmware upgrade) would bring its functionality up to (and possibly a bit beyond?) the level of a 2010 RNS-E as fitted in an A3/TT. The Gateway 5 would then presumably work with this upgraded unit and provide the track listing I am looking for. However,

2) Via a thrid party, Dension have indicated that NO Gateway 5 / RNS-E combination will provide on-screen track listings.

What do you reckon? I'd be interested to hear the experience of anyone who HAS successfully displayed track titles on an RNS-E 2010, be it in an A3/TT or otherwise (other than by using an Alpine system, which I know works but doesn't appeal).

It has been suggested that an easy and cost effective solution might be to replace my RNS-E with an after market unit that already has iPod and USB interfaces built in. I am reluctant to do this because despite its foibles, I like the RNS-E and it is proper Audi kit that coordinates with the A6 console. However, with after market Nav units available for about the same price as a Gateway 5, it seems worthy of consideration. Does anyone have any recommendation of a unit that would sit nicely in the A6 dash - end especially one that will message the DIS too?

Any thougths appreciated,

Kind Regards,

Peter.

Issac Hunt
27-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Since the RNS-E communicates Nav and MP3 track inoformation to the driver information display, I had assumed that it did this via the CAN BUS - or am I wrong? Is a CAN Gateway something different? Please forgive my ignorance

Your car uses CAN for certain systems, but it isnt a full CAN based car in the same sense that the A3 and new A4/A6 etc . You cant upgrade your cars systems to full CAN, nor can you fit a CAN gateway thate the new RNS-E requires.

1) Upgrade of my 2009 RNS-E with a 2011 Nav DVD (which includes a firmware upgrade) would bring its functionality up to (and possibly a bit beyond?) the level of a 2010 RNS-E as fitted in an A3/TT. The Gateway 5 would then presumably work with this upgraded unit and provide the track listing I am looking for. However,

Using the 2011 DVD wont upgrade the firmware in an 'old' RNS-E like you have. It will only update the map information. Upgrades for 'old' RNS-E's like you have, have stopped as Audi dont fit them into their cars anymore. The firmware/software levels of the old RNS-E have been constant for a couple of years now. The functionaity you have now is the best you are going to get I'm afraid.

The 'old' RNS-E you have will only support 4GB non SDHC cards. The 'new' 2010my A3/TT RNS-E will accept a 32GD SD card. You cant update your old new one to the standard of the new one via a map DVD.

2) Via a thrid party, Dension have indicated that NO Gateway 5 / RNS-E combination will provide on-screen track listings.

This is correct I believe. The latest Dension kit will provide track info in the DIS display but not on the screen of the RNS-E.

What do you reckon? I'd be interested to hear the experience of anyone who HAS successfully displayed track titles on an RNS-E 2010, be it in an A3/TT or otherwise (other than by using an Alpine system, which I know works but doesn't appeal).

It has been suggested that an easy and cost effective solution might be to replace my RNS-E with an after market unit that already has iPod and USB interfaces built in. I am reluctant to do this because despite its foibles, I like the RNS-E and it is proper Audi kit that coordinates with the A6 console. However, with after market Nav units available for about the same price as a Gateway 5, it seems worthy of consideration. Does anyone have any recommendation of a unit that would sit nicely in the A6 dash - end especially one that will message the DIS too?

I got track info on the screen of my RNS-E by using a Kufatec media adapter (the IMA+ and an external hard drive in the glovebox. It worked in a fashion very similar to the Alpine solution. Eg it uses the media in port on the back of the unit. Much in the same way that you connect a computer to your TV screen if you see what I mean.

It works but it is very 'clunky' for want of a better word. Its expesive (£200+ in parts alone) and isnt perfect. Navigating the menus takes time and as the screen resolution of the RNS-E is low the display doesnt look too good. I gave up with it in the end as it began to annoy me. Volume quality wasnt as good as a CD either which was a major annoyance.

I couldnt comment on an aftermarket untis really as I never bought one but I reckon they aint perfect. Integration is the hard part, ie getting DIS info and getting steering wheel controls to function 100% is hit and miss. They dont look 'OEM' when fitted in the dash either.

I just accepted it woud never be perfect. You need to change cars to an MMI equipped one, like in the later A6 cars if you want excellent Ipod control (you cant fit that to your older A6!)

I spent a £20 on a few extra SD cards and never looked back, they are easy to update with your music, hold a fair few tracks and they are cheap. Track info and sound quality are perfect.

Peter Cork
27-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Isaac,

Thanks very much for your comprehensive and helpful comments. As you sugggest, it looks like either a new RNS-E or sticking with the 4GB SD cards as I use at the moment.

On the subject of SD card based MP3s, I find the RNS-E refuses to recognise some tracks. I've tried various things (like putting the files on a new SD card and trying different bit rates) but I haven't been able to draw a conclusion about the RNS-Es criteria for acceptance of the files. My best guess at the moment is that is won't recognise files unless they are fully ISO compliant. Does that sound likely to you?

Kind Regards,

Peter.