PDA

View Full Version : Pulsing interior lights problem

dr_jackrabbit
02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I have a problem where my interior lights keep pulsing and this sets the alarm off, ive sat in the car when its locked and can hear a relay clicking every time the lights pulse, even when i turn the lights off it still clicks the relay and this sets the alarm off, after a while it will stop sometimes it can take 15 mins though.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running a 2002 A3 1.9 Tdi 130 SE by the way.

Sibbs
04-08-2008, 04:42 PM
I have the exact problem, trying to find it myself.

BTW 2002 A3 TDI, seems like something has had it's lifetime

Sibbs
19-10-2008, 09:50 PM
My roblem turned out to be a sticky door lock that wasn't locking properly. ECM wasn't get a the right signal so with the interior lights coming off of the same circuit as the alarm, off went the alrm and interior lights pulsing on and off.

A3_FSI_2.0
19-10-2008, 10:56 PM
was going to suggest a door lock too, probably the drivers if it happens all the time. I take it you dont have the DIS on the instrument cluster to show a door staying open? I know people have had problems with the microswitches going faulty and the car thought a door was still open.

Vagcom would tell you what is activating the alarm ie, if its a door.

dr_jackrabbit
20-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I had mine checked out on audi diagnostic tester and couldnt find anything, but the guy was saying could be down to the clocks, he was in touch with audi in germany and they said they woudlnt do anything else for me untill i'd had the clocks removed and checked out, i took the easy option....
Washed and valeted it and got rid, treated myself to a 05 2.0 tdi sport instead, i dont have the problem now:beerchug: yay

S3 beast
14-11-2008, 07:37 PM
U should be ashamed of urself.. someone out there now will be cursing you my friend!

I had same problem on a 2001 s3.. found the passenger door was the problem.. not shut properly, only dint show on dash n didnt look/sound open.. i opened n closed it n its been reet ever since...

Do you go to bed with a supersize mug of horlicks?!:aargh4:

J4VVV
18-12-2008, 10:21 PM
I have a problem where my interior lights keep pulsing and this sets the alarm off, ive sat in the car when its locked and can hear a relay clicking every time the lights pulse, even when i turn the lights off it still clicks the relay and this sets the alarm off, after a while it will stop sometimes it can take 15 mins though.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running a 2002 A3 1.9 Tdi 130 SE by the way.
Hi,

Have you found out what the problem is/was ?

My 2002 A3 has the same problem....

a8 tech
18-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Ok i have seen the airbag control unit contacts corrode causing a resistive circuit and sends out a corrupted crash signal causing this .
Sometimes the airbag warning deactivation light flashes also.The control unit is mounted under the centre console.The crash signal turns the interior lights on and opens the central locking and finally triggers the hazard lights but when the circuit becomes resistive these functions are triggered without the correct command so the interior light may flicker and also the hazards may also trigger for no reason.
You can check these faults by starting with the most common fault for example the interior light pulsing.Check the 30,15 and 31 for good voltage and earth then check the inputs from the doors and all other inputs then check for mutual shorts causing high resistance and finally the interior light unit for high resistance.
If these seems long winded then de pin the inputs to the interior light until the fault stops then repin to isolate the fault.

Ronx
27-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Ok i have seen the airbag control unit contacts corrode causing a resistive circuit and sends out a corrupted crash signal causing this .
Sometimes the airbag warning deactivation light flashes also.The control unit is mounted under the centre console.The crash signal turns the interior lights on and opens the central locking and finally triggers the hazard lights but when the circuit becomes resistive these functions are triggered without the correct command so the interior light may flicker and also the hazards may also trigger for no reason.
You can check these faults by starting with the most common fault for example the interior light pulsing.Check the 30,15 and 31 for good voltage and earth then check the inputs from the doors and all other inputs then check for mutual shorts causing high resistance and finally the interior light unit for high resistance.
If these seems long winded then de pin the inputs to the interior light until the fault stops then repin to isolate the fault.
Hi,
Looks like I've purchased an a3 with above problem, pulsing lights, hazards being triggered...taking back to dealers to check out but any idea (ballpark) how much this kind of thing would cost to sort out?

a8 tech
27-12-2008, 05:47 PM
To add other possible causes
the central locking pump can also become resistive form water entering the unit and this will also cause similar symptoms.
As for how much i would agree 2 hours initial diagnosis then after that time has elapsed they should have some thing to suggest and then discuss with the dealer the expected cost.
If this repair was under manufacturers warranty then it would be classed as open time but a full report detailing the techs diagnosis route and trim removed etc would be required to justify the time for payment so if the tech was clueless then this could be seen and only the time taken for the actual fault would be paid.
Ask for a diagnosis log print out which will also count the time taken for the suggested diagnostic tests for example checking the central locking pump functions and fault codes but some test plans have no time operation as they rely on the techs knowledge of wiring diagrams etc.

J4VVV
28-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Give all the locks a good clean and WD40 everything, as this sorted my problems out. It looked like on one the doors was sticking and this caused the lights to pulsate. Give it a try, it can't do any harm.