PDA

View Full Version : Dealer service or independent?

hoops1961
20-01-2007, 08:18 PM
My A4 TDi is approaching 60000 miles and this seems to be the interval for timing belt to be repaired. Have had quote from Audi dealership and also an independent VW/audi garage (in Leeds) - big difference in price! Dealership will just replace timing belt and tensioners, but independent garage (recommended on some websites) do this and also the water pump and rollers too. I'm tempted by the independent garage who really seem to know what they are doing and customer care really impressed when I visited for quotes - will this affect resale values when I sell the car or is the idea that it must be serviced by an Audi dealer a sales gimmick? Any thoughts, tips, hints would be appreciated. Thanks

patrick
21-01-2007, 01:31 AM
As long as they know what they are doing you should be fine. The biggest issue with the TDI is making sure they use the right oil. Here in the USA I would have a dealer do it....there just aren't any "Audi shops" around my area that know what they are dealing with.

In the UK I am sure you are better off than we are in that aspect. As far as resale goes, you are fine as long as you keep your paperwork to prove the work was done. Otherwise they will try to hit you with that at trade in.

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com (http://www.AudiA4Mods.com)

RickT
21-01-2007, 02:06 AM
Hi

The reason for Audi doing the cam belt and tens only.... is that, the job which needs doing is "just the cam belt and tens" as per the guide lines... the reason the independent garages will say do the addtional stuff is "You" may as well change these parts while the car is in bits to save doing it if it goes...

To be honest.. the addtional work... more than likley, depending on wear and tear which you can never estimate these parts "should last" to the second cam belt change.... (touch wood, mine have so far..and i have now done 57k since last cam belt, in 2 years!!)

I know a good garage where i always go.. in Bradford/Halifax, but it may be just that too far from you in Leeds... but im sure there loads of good ones in leeds if you know the area.

Cheers

RicKT

hoops1961
21-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Many thanks Patrick and RickT for the replies to my post - really impressed that people respond so quickly and it is much appreciated. I don't think that Bradford/Halifax is necessarily too far for me Rick - it is always a day out so would be interested in info on the garage if you are allowed to share that on a forum. Once again, many thanks.