PDA

View Full Version : '99 Bora water in drivers footwell

BoraTDI
20-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for picking up this thread.

My wifes car is my old '99 model Bora SE Tdi. Last week we noticed a musty smell in the car and condensation on the windows. When I checked the carpets the passenger side was bone dry but on the drivers side both front and rear footwells were soaking wet. So wet that when you put any force on the carpet to push it down a puddle appeared. Since then I have removed the carpets and the soundproofing underlay to start the drying out process. At first I thought the problem was something to do with the aircon but I have tested that by simply driving the car around with the aircon off for half an hour and then turning it on full blast for half an hour, then I left the car for the rest of the day before checking it again but it was bone dry on my return. Over the last few days with the carpet out I have been keeping a careful look over the footwell and have now concluded that it is rain water getting in as its always wet after a good downpour. I have checked all the doors and sunroof as well as the rest of the interior and I cannot see any marks of water ingress. Then I turned to the internet and read this problem to do with the pollen filter on the passat, is it likely to be the same problem on the Bora? Has anyone else had the same experience? Where would you first look to solve the problem?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

BoraTDI
21-01-2007, 06:57 PM
no ideas?

auiron
21-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi, This water problem is very common on Audi A4's, Passats and Jettas. If you go to the follow link it should point you in the right direction: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=14542&postcount=8

BoraTDI
21-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks Auiron.

BoraTDI
26-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Ok so I have fully dried out the carpets and subjeced the car to a couple of hours of artifical rain (typical english weather, you want sun you get rain but if you want rain you get overcast instead) and the car was bone dry when I finished with it. I also excercised the AC and heating and found no leaks when using either of those. So carpes are back in, afer a good shampoo and the car is back to its normal self.

Its still a mystery how it got so wet, I checked the sunroof drains and the pollen filer area and all were flowing freely. The last place to check is the drainoff for condensation out of the AC system, is there such a thing and where would I find it ?