PDA

View Full Version : Car gets stuck in reverse??

Lis
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Has happened 3 times now :confused:

Have managed to get it out by turning engine off, taking handbrake off and rocking the car.

But why is it happening? :confused:

I always have left every car i've had in gear when i park them. But this car does not like being left in reverse as that was how i got it stuck the first time.

Second time i tried to take it out of reverse before putting the handbrake on but again it was stuck.

Third time managed to wrestle it out of reverse but again i hadn't even taken my foot off clutch or put the handbrake on ? :confused::confused:

WHYYY?????????

I reverse park everywhere and don't want to be having to rock my car every time cos its got stuck in reverse!!!

A4Ade
01-08-2008, 10:23 AM
I always have left every car i've had in gear when i park them. But this car does not like being left in reverse...

I find this too. Mine doesn't seem as bad - it's never actually got stuck, but when I (used to) leave it parked in reverse it would often be difficult to get it out again. It is most noticeable when parking with the rear end slightly up hill (which is when you might intuitively want to leave it in reverse, rather than 1st). I always assumed this happens because the car will "settle" forwards very slightly due to pointing down hill, and that this imposes some force as the gearbox itself holds the car back. I don't actually know enough about the internal workings of a gearbox to understand exactly what might be happening, but as a precaution I now park in neutral and just make sure my handbrake is working well, and turn my wheels into the curb.

Ade