PDA

View Full Version : ABS warning light after 10 mins of driving, V6 4motion

nemeth782
31-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi there!

I have a V6 4motion, W reg (2000) with about 73k on it.... Its actually a Bora not a Golf, but same difference :P

I only got it today, so I don't know if this fault has been there before (althought the garage says not!), but it only just passed its MOT yesterday so I can't imagine it would have been.

Anyway, after about 5 mins of driving the ABS warning light comes on, the car beeps loudly, and displays "ABS Fault" in the display. At this point the ABS does not function. If you brake harshly before this point, the ABS attempts to function but seems to come on way too early. Restarting the engine clears the light for another 5 mins or so.

The garage says this is likely a case of the sensor becoming dislodged during cleaning? How plausable is this?

Could it be down to tyre pressures? I went to check them at Tesco's but the airline was broken (for a change...)

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Crasher
31-07-2008, 11:37 PM
It won’t be the tyre pressures but different size tyres can cause it and I have seen this. The first thing to do is get it read for fault codes; it is probably just a simple failed front wheel speed sensor.

nemeth782
31-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Whats the ballpark cost of a sensor? Are we talking insane money here or are they reasonable?

Crasher
01-08-2008, 01:48 PM
£51 genuine, less from GSF etc and half an hour to fit IF it comes out cleanly. Get a fault code read done first.