PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Lights

tailor
20-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi

I just bought a audi A4 Avant very pleased with but I have a question. I did not get the owners manual and want to know about the light warning lights. I have tried searching for a online manual but cant find one. Can some described what lights should come up and go away when the engine starts and what are the warning signs. its done 125K so i would like to just keep on top of it.

Also i was told the cam belt was changed at 103K but how can you tell if its worn Ive had a look at it and it looks very shiny

Thanks

devonutopia
20-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Check the belt inbetween the teeth, on the inside, and also on the outside where the cambelt is on one of the particularly bendy bits. This will show were stresses. It sounds like a recent belt to me though. The usual lights to come on and go out would probably be the power steering and traction control (light of a wheel and a triangle) - engine light would come on and go out usually.

I think as long as all the lights go out again (aside from the red "!" handbrake one) after the car is started, all will be well. It's just part of the car's self check thing it does before every journey.

tailor
20-01-2007, 06:06 PM
hi where would the engine light be and whats it look like. thanks for the response.

tailor
20-01-2007, 06:08 PM
g

RickT
20-01-2007, 08:55 PM
its the top left yellow light...

this image is is meant to be from a B6.. but i think its from a B5 unless the B6 cluster in the us is different?

ie not got the temp degree on it and in the Uk its not got check under the engine light.. so it could be the same as yours!

You may want to save the photo and zoom in on it...

Cheers

RickT

devonutopia
20-01-2007, 09:32 PM
The engine light kind of looks like an engine. :D A squiggly looking block thing with "sticky out bits" You also might find your airbag light comes on and off too.

tailor
21-01-2007, 02:05 AM
thanks for the replies all i just cant see this light Rick the layout is different from that you showed i yours looks mush newer. I do get a few lights come on and then the go off like the air bag but nothing that looks like an engine. i do get a big yellow OK appear once i have turned the key and then this goes off in the center display. ive searched the internet for a picture to try and find something that resembles my 1998 a4 but could not find anything so not sure what should come on. Im just a bit worried that I bought the car and the light was not on or disabled. any further help would be great.

devonutopia
21-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Found one on google images. More or less like this

http://images.ibsys.com/2003/0513/2201165_200X150.jpg

tailor
21-01-2007, 12:10 PM
right i see i dont see any light like that at all the only yellow light that appears is a car symbol with a key under neather it

Dave Avant
21-01-2007, 05:08 PM
The dealer should be able to supply you with the handbooks.

tailor
21-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks for everyones help think i might have to locate a owners manual from somehwere. Ive used a torch and shined it on the display to see any displays but still couldnt find this engine light

polo9n
01-02-2007, 01:30 PM
hi

1 month ago the dashboard developed a problem while it looks like a faulty dash, but now it sound more like that its a bad cable somewhere,

question is bad alarm cable under the steering wheel compartment cause these?
as i see cables hanging below the steering wheel compartment and they are hanging loose there.and cables are only tapped together not properly clipped.
can the bad cables be the cause of it?