PDA

View Full Version : Question Big End Repair..what does it mean???

DaveNN
31-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey Oh....

Whilst I'm currently fighting to a new motor out of VW (Passat Highline 140Cdti engine blew, 6 weeks old!!), the local dealership have ordered replacement parts...as a new engine would be on back order (no doubt to ensure production is not impeded).

What, if any, potential issues could having a rebuild create?

Is a rebuilt engine likely to be as reliable ('though can't be any worse than the one I have)?
Is it likely to be less fuel efficient?

My stance is that IF I accepted back the repaired car, then I've set a precident for any (possible) future issues.

Any technical advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

dansansome
31-07-2008, 04:59 PM
surely their work will be done under cover of their warranty, and therefore will not affect the original Ts&Cs of the vehicle's warranty?

Crasher
31-07-2008, 05:01 PM
What is a worry is WHY did it run a con rod bearing? These engines are prone to this but there is usually a cause. I would insist on a new crank and oil pump and would want to know if the bearing span in the rod. If it did that means new rods so head off and then it is getting silly, a new engine would make more sense. PM me the cars reg in the next half hour or so if you can.

DaveNN
31-07-2008, 05:05 PM
surely their work will be done under cover of their warranty, and therefore will not affect the original Ts&Cs of the vehicle's warranty?

Can't disagree....it shouldn't effect anything else.:beerchug:
However, once the geniie's out of the bottle..... etc

Am really trying to establish if there are any technical reasons for not accepting the repair.
Everyone that I've actually spoken to (ok, they are mates) agrees with my stance...
Anyhow, I've a similar thread on the B6 forum.

Dave.

Crasher
31-07-2008, 05:11 PM
If you insist on having a replacement engine they are due in to the UK on the 13th of August. That is for CBAA and CBAB units.

DaveNN
31-07-2008, 05:14 PM
What is a worry is WHY did it run a con rod bearing? These engines are prone to this but there is usually a cause. I would insist on a new crank and oil pump and would want to know if the bearing span in the rod. If it did that means new rods so head off and then it is getting silly, a new engine would make more sense. PM me the cars reg in the next half hour or so if you can.

You know what, Crasher...I can't ruddy well remember it...BUT will speak with my fleet people now.
Pardon me for asking, but how would this help (I'm a bit thick)?
The car wasn't being hammered (under 40MPH) in 3rd.
The dealer has been on (as I'm typing this)..& they're replacing the engine!!!!!

Cheers
Dave N

DaveNN
31-07-2008, 05:15 PM
If you insist on having a replacement engine they are due in to the UK on the 13th of August. That is for CBAA and CBAB units.

God...you're bloody quick off the mark!!!!:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Crasher
31-07-2008, 05:49 PM
It has a CBAB code engine, the part number is 03L 100 033 NX and they retail at £2974.82. Stock is due in the week commencing August 13th.

DaveNN
31-07-2008, 05:53 PM
It has a CBAB code engine, the part number is 03L 100 033 NX and they retail at £2974.82. Stock is due in the week commencing August 13th.

INCREDIBLE!!!!
How long would it take to blow up????:D:D
You're (quite obviously) on the ball here...
Pls be honest, but am I out of order to insist on a new car???

Cheers:beerchug::beerchug:
DaveN

DaveNN
31-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Dealer's quoting 04/08/08...let's see shall we??
Cheers
Dave

Crasher
31-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Personally I feel that you are right to insist on a complete replacement engine but to ask for a new car is not justified. If it failed again then possibly you would have cause to ask for a replacement but in law I think it would have to be the third time.

DaveNN
01-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Personally I feel that you are right to insist on a complete replacement engine but to ask for a new car is not justified. If it failed again then possibly you would have cause to ask for a replacement but in law I think it would have to be the third time.

Mmmm you could well be right....however I'm an obstinate little sod!
Truth be told, IF VW were to make an 'offer' then I'd negotiate (it's my job)..but I'm not going to blink first!

Cheers
Dave

Eshrules
01-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Whilst I don't fully understand the complex mechincals of this, I'd agree with crasher, a 'big end' repair is not going to prove economical in any sense, a new engine would most certainly be the best option for all concerned.

I'd certainly insist on this, but insisting on a new car may cause VW to simply shut up shop on you. I'm not one for rolling over on complaints either....

have a discussion, explain your issues with a repair, as opposed to a new engine and see where that goes. If you get your car back, complete with new engine and all is well, you've gained a brand new engine.... likelyhood is it will not fail again.

DaveNN
01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Whilst I don't fully understand the complex mechincals of this, I'd agree with crasher, a 'big end' repair is not going to prove economical in any sense, a new engine would most certainly be the best option for all concerned.

I'd certainly insist on this, but insisting on a new car may cause VW to simply shut up shop on you. I'm not one for rolling over on complaints either....

have a discussion, explain your issues with a repair, as opposed to a new engine and see where that goes. If you get your car back, complete with new engine and all is well, you've gained a brand new engine.... likelyhood is it will not fail again.

As with Crasher, I appreciate this response.:beerchug::beerchug:
They are DEFINATELY replacing the engine...& my people are DEFINATELY backing me for a replacement car. Whilst I would be gaining a brand new engine (as opposed to to one that had 45 miles on the ODO when I got it), I'm still seriously cheesed off with all this hassle. Finding much of the engine in the boot (common practise, I know), with absolutley NO effort to remove the boots' contents (including brand new carpet mats, brolleys etc), just tipped me over the edge!!! I'm quite sure that A4 paper (Staples best...no doubt!!) was not designed to protect a boot floor from all the nasties (including smells) from a knackered engine.
IF VW had any sense, then they'd be ringing me directly (I'm quite an affable/reasonable guy :D)...but they haven't.

Currently got a Octavia on hire....not as good as the Passat...but a darnsight better than the 308 that I had!!!

Nothing will happen until next week now.....

Kind Regards
Dave N

dansansome
01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
huh? did VW use your boot as storage for bits of engine?

shocking.

Crasher
01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
huh? did VW use your boot as storage for bits of engine?

shocking.

Of course, what else do you expect them to do? If one mechanic has four cars in bits and it could be two weeks before he puts it back together, plus VW allow no work side storage whatsoever, where else could the parts be safely stored? I do the same; it is common sense to keep the parts with the car, as long as they are carefully stored.

dansansome
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
naivity on my part i guess.

im used to aircraft facilities where there are generally masses of large wheeled shelving units and trestles to store any removed bits.

they could have made an effort to protect/move his belongings though.

Crasher
01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Agreed, I would have moved his belongings to the back seat and then put down some plastic seat covers in the boot with all parts in boxes, plastic ones for parts that may leak fluids.

DaveNN
01-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Agreed, I would have moved his belongings to the back seat and then put down some plastic seat covers in the boot with all parts in boxes, plastic ones for parts that may leak fluids.

Agreed..it wasn't a smart move!!!

I think that I've logged a story about my mate who got pulled up by plod one night & was asked "what's in the boot?"
He was a tad popped up (his sister was driving) & told Plod "a flipping engine!!!"
Plod got a bit bolshy & suggested that my mate tell him the truth.
He repeated his answer.
Plod then demanded that he open the boot...to find.....???

Yep an engine!!:D:D

He was driving a Skoda Super Estelle....& (to thjose who may not be familiar) the engine was at the back!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh: