PDA

View Full Version : audi 80 ball joint replacement

rockbadger69
20-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi, hope somebody can help. i have a 1991 2.0l audi 80. Its got a squeak from the front right wheel and a knock has just started as well. This i presume is a broken/worn ball joint. Ive taken the car to a local garage before and they were pretty honest so im going to take it there again. However, it would be nice to have a go at it myself, therefore is it possible to do it myself on the street (dont have a garage)? how much should the parts cost? Is it simple, will there be other things to fix? Am i better taking it to the garage. If i take it to the garage what should i expect to pay? how long should it take them to fix it?

Finally, i cant get it in the garage till next saturday im an electrician and i need the car for work which about 5 miles away, will driving it do even more damage and is it dangerous?

cheers all, if anybody can help it would be most appreciated?

jp_paul
23-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Welcome to VWAudiforum!

There's a very simple way to check to see whats worn. Jack up the offending wheel and rock the wheel firmly. Hands at 3 and 9 o clock to check for worn track rod ends. Hands at 12 and 6 o clock to check for balljoint play. If there is play and it stops when the footbrake is pressed, the wheel bearings are worn, not the ball joint. If there is a worrying amount of play in the ball joint, dont drive it anymore cause it wont be pretty if it gives way.

So... replacing them. It is possible to do it in the street. Been there, done that. You need a jack, a ball joint splitter (big fork to bash with a hammer), a crowbar and an extra pair of hands is always handy. Take out the retaining pin from the bearing housing and use the crowbar to lift the strut up and release the ball joint. Then just remove the retaining bolts (dont forget to use WD40) on the wishbone and slide it off. Renewal is reversal of above, ensuring that the ball joint is in the exact same position as the old one to keep the correct camber angle. Remember to check all other components for wear whilst you're under her!

Parts should cost no more than £15 each. A garage would charge 0.9hrs labour for both sides. My advice...free.

Jp

Ian W
23-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Welcome to VWAudiforum!

There's a very simple way to check to see whats worn. Jack up the offending wheel and rock the wheel firmly. Hands at 3 and 9 o clock to check for worn track rod ends. Hands at 12 and 6 o clock to check for balljoint play. If there is play and it stops when the footbrake is pressed, the wheel bearings are worn, not the ball joint. If there is a worrying amount of play in the ball joint, dont drive it anymore cause it wont be pretty if it gives way.

So... replacing them. It is possible to do it in the street. Been there, done that. You need a jack, a ball joint splitter (big fork to bash with a hammer), a crowbar and an extra pair of hands is always handy. Take out the retaining pin from the bearing housing and use the crowbar to lift the strut up and release the ball joint. Then just remove the retaining bolts (dont forget to use WD40) on the wishbone and slide it off. Renewal is reversal of above, ensuring that the ball joint is in the exact same position as the old one to keep the correct camber angle. Remember to check all other components for wear whilst you're under her!

Parts should cost no more than £15 each. A garage would charge 0.9hrs labour for both sides. My advice...free.

Jp

excellent post mate, very helpful.

i've had mine checked out but i'm not 100% that it's okay so will try this for myself to see what's what.

onzarob
23-01-2007, 10:28 PM
I paid £30 to have a ball joint changed on my Golf, part included in price £10. I have changed them on my own before but when it 5 degrees outside its not so much fun.

In the end it was an excellent choice as 2 allen bolts rounded off and they had to heat it up to remove. Nothing like NOT getting you hands dirty on a cold day.

Rob:D

rockbadger69
24-01-2007, 02:58 PM
thanks for the replies guys. this site rocks. im going to let the garage do it, weathers s****y, it could be ball joint, could be bearings, could be something else, if it is i wouldnt know. needs a good look at anyway, been six months since its been checked. beautiful car just hope it doesnt cost me the earth.

Marc97
26-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Done this very same job today as well as the wishbone bushes on a mates coupe.
Done in no time at all very easy but as JP says, they have an adjustable camber angle (no idea why) so it is important to fit the new one in the same position as the old one.
Well done all, great advice.