PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy

andy_t85
31-07-2008, 11:27 AM
im looking to buy a vento but im strugglin to chose between a 1.8 petrol and a 1.9 diesel is there much difference in performance i.e bhp

rupert46a
07-08-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't know, but the Parkers guide website lists all the models, engines, performance and economy data: www.parkers.co.uk.I guess you'll find the answer there if you search for it. Happy hunting!

vento4life
29-11-2008, 12:48 AM
I think a petrol would be better, coz from what I see on the forum, the Diesels have alot more problems.

adamss24
29-11-2008, 08:04 AM
I would say to drive them both. The 1.8T is a cracking unit but is heavy on fuel compared to the Tdi. The pd engine might have less Bhp but it has masive torque- about 310Nm. When pottering around town and on a steady cruise on the motorway, the diesel has more pulling power and will return better Mpg than the petrol lump. Most people only have a remap wich improve the bhp count (irelevant in my oppinion as they only count at speeds over 150Mph when the car is cutting trough the air !) and somehow improves the fuel consumption even more. Good tunners keep the torque within the factory spec or even limit the torque at low rpm as its the torque wich burns clutches and break gearboxes. The most weak points on the PD engine are the DMF and the cams. The DMF go because people race them from the lights and let the clutch slip and the cams wear out due to improper oil used when servicing. The engines are very demanding on the oil as the cams drive the PD injectors wich work at high pressures. The 1.8T have even more problems: sludge forming inside the engine wich will block the oil pump pick-up, failling coil- packs, faulty cats, Lambda sensors, injectors and the like. Thing is, the petrol has more electronic sensors wich are known to fail but both engines are brilliant when working properly ! They will also have different caracteristics and if you want a car to race from the lights, buy a petrol. If you want a better all-round car wich will keep up with the petrol, be more economical and a decent motorway cruiser, then buy the diesel !

fil1973
10-01-2009, 10:21 PM
go for the 1.9 td (not the tdi)

the normal turbo diesel is "all mechanical" as the tdi is "electrical" & have loads more probs with air flow meters, sensors, turbo trouble, & all kinds

but other than that the 1.8 (8v) is a good all rounder (not super fast but will keep up with traffic) & return decent mpg