PDA

View Full Version : A4 1996 Idle Speed after dead battery

TinUK
20-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi,

I have an Audi A4 2.6 Auto 1996 and yesterday the battery was flat after not using it for 3 weeks. Now the idle speed is stuck at 1500rpm. This has happened before 2 times, the 1st time I took it to *********** and paid minimum charge to be rectified. The 2nd time I replaaced the battery and it cleared itself. This time it wont clear itself, bugger.
I have searched this forum and fount a couple of related posts, but nothing worked so far. I tried disconnecting battery and turning ignition and lights on, then off according to a post but unfortunately didnt work.
Is there another way of avoiding the *********** minimum charge I can try?

Thanks,

Martin.

Deen_007
28-08-2007, 01:47 PM
hi there

Got the same problem with my friends Audi A4 1996 model. The car stood for very long and now does the same. Now whenever the car switch off, I need to disconnect battery terminal otherwise car won't start.

Please help can someone pls tell me what to do as the dealership here in Cape Town is gonna charge me quite a few bucks( of which I don't have any)

Thanks a lot

mluton
28-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Maybe get it plugged into a VAGCOM to see if there are any errors showing up and then running it for a while to see if it goes back to normal.

joca
29-08-2007, 12:31 AM
My A4 2.8Q manual has a similar problem. When battery is disconnected the idle speed (when car is warm) is erratic, almost to stalling point. I noticed this on a few occasions. It does after a couple of days running return to normal.
I plugged in Vag-Com and it showed no abnormal faults (1 saying voltage too low)
I think the throttle potentiometer needs to be re-calibrated but i don't have the full version of Vag-Com.
Hope you sort it.
:o

Deen_007
29-08-2007, 02:25 PM
thanx again will see if I can hook it up to a VAG-COM