PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of stench from washer bottle??

jonbaker
30-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Everytime i spray my windscreen with the washers i get a terrible smell from it, the solution smells nothing like that when it goes in.

Any ideas??

kite
30-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Some screen wash's smell when mixed with different makes.
i would try to flush the bottle out with clean water then add a new mix of screen wash.

Desertfish
30-07-2008, 08:43 PM
When is the last time you filled/topped up the water reservoir...? You might laugh at this, but water can actually rot when it is in the reservoir for too long, producing the stench you're talking about.

jonbaker
30-07-2008, 09:57 PM
When is the last time you filled/topped up the water reservoir...? You might laugh at this, but water can actually rot when it is in the reservoir for too long, producing the stench you're talking about.

It's always running out and filled back up again straight away. It smells like wrotten eggs/cheesy feet lol

Perhaps i'll try running fresh water through it a couple of times then top up with a different brand than i have been using.

Eshrules
30-07-2008, 10:17 PM
as already suggested, change the brand you're using, it sounds daft, but the Lidl auto specials that they sell, have a screenwash product within the range, in a small yellow bottle, smells ok and does the job brilliantly....

make sure you drain the water out of the resorvoir and change the water.... this heat could have done funny things to it.

failing that, are you sure it's the water? ;)

RickT
30-07-2008, 10:59 PM
If i was you.....

I would get down to asda and buy 3 litres of "SMART PRICE" screen wash and fill it with that "neat" and some fresh water..

I always use a few litres of it and a bit of water which gives a good clean..

By using the amount of screen wash it should get rid of the smell!

Rick

MalcQV
31-07-2008, 09:35 AM
A couple of threads on here about it. I had the same problem with my previous car it smelled like cat pi$$. It seems bacteria is the problem and a screen wash that contains alcohol is going to work better.

The Fingers
31-07-2008, 09:45 AM
fill it up with water and bleach and then flush it all out.

same again with water

then re fill with screenwash

this should kill the little critters

cheesey feet screen wash - there could be a market for this on some of them fetish sites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:aargh4:

jonbaker
31-07-2008, 02:02 PM
fill it up with water and bleach and then flush it all out.

same again with water

then re fill with screenwash

this should kill the little critters

cheesey feet screen wash - there could be a market for this on some of them fetish sites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:aargh4:

Thanks for all the suggestions, wont bleach harm my paint or my wiper blades??

Eshrules
31-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, wont bleach harm my paint or my wiper blades??

yes, don't for the love of god, use bleach, you'll damage all the hoses it runs through, not to mention the damage it'll do to your paint