PDA

View Full Version : Sharan Gear Selection problem

Paul Sharan
20-01-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a MK1 Sharan (2000 W plate) 1.9TDi Sharan with manual gearbox.
Gear selection became progressively more difficult a couple of days ago - starting with slight resistance in left to right movement along the gate. After a couple of hours driving I couldn't get 5th or Reverse gears at all. I've checked gear lever and cables including cable mountings and they all seem OK. Looks like the problem is with the selector mechanism on the gearbox but how do you access and remove it. I read somewhere that you need to remove the battery tray, but another article said that this shouldn't be removed. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Ferd
22-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi
Your not going to beleave this But I have the same problem.
I can get 3rd and 4th But like you can not mover left to right.
Traced it back to the serlecktor. Will be pulling it out very soon.
Ho yes There are 4 16mm bolts under the battery they hold and gear box mount up so do not take them out without a jack under the gear box.
I hope it's it's just the serlecktor as I do not fancey taking the gearbox out.
Ferd

Paul Sharan
22-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Cheers Ferd
Took the battery tray off yesterday (supported the gearbox) but still not enough to access to remove the selector. Looks like thats my problem though, as it will rotate but not move up and down to select the correct gate. Time to take the Gearbox out I think unless anyone knows an easier way???????
Paul

Ferd
22-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi again
I hope you have not started to take your gearbox out yet!

I have just managed to get the serlector out. Drop the gearbox on the jack a bit and remove the linkage compleatly then take out the 6 10mm bolts out a good 1/4inch socket set helps. Also unplug the sensor and pull. Looks like my one is at fault as I can not move it. BOL Ferd

Ferd
22-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi again
I have just pulled the serlector apart and found that theres a bearing that has sized.
I have not had much luck with this motor since November I.E Water pump, Head gasget, Heat exchanger. Spend about £1000 since then on parts and haveing the cylinder head worked. I have done most of the work my self and I am getting ****-- o-- with it and it's only done 95k.

Ferd

Ferd
24-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi All
Well I orded the parts from Ford Yesterday (They look at you funny then you tell them it's a Sharan even though it's got Ford all over it.) Got the new bearing, Shaft, and I am waiting for the top seal. Only cost just under £30.

Ferd

Paul Sharan
26-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Got mine fixed today - exactly the same problem - siezed bearing.:biglaugh:

stantheglassman
25-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Can anyone please give me the part numbers to repair the stiff gear problem on my Sharan. Thanks Stan

Ferd
26-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi
If I remenber correctly there are two bearings and a seal.

My top bearing and sized because the seal must have let by.

If you go to Fords. I only got 1 bearing and seal.

F1051493 and F1020979.

Hope this helps.

Have you taken it out yet?

Ferd

stantheglassman
26-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi Ferd
Thanks for the info. I have not taken the bits off yet I am going to try and get the bits on monday and will sort it Monday evening I hope. do you know if the bottom bearing is the same one? Regards Stan
My home number is 01738636077 if you think of anything else.

fogyfog
14-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Ive had gear selection problems for over a year, stiff 2nd gear and then not fully engaging in 2nd & reverse. I thought it might be the bearings on the linkage but when i checked the cables going to the gear lever one was bent, this i sraightened and adjusted cables as per. Haynes manual.Problem is now solved, just wish i had checked cable adjustment ages ago.But you never think its going to be that easy lol

jbh325i
08-05-2013, 03:13 PM
thread revival...

right we just bought one of these last week to use as a daily and for the upcoming summer holidays.
we've had the problem today where it would select 1st and second but wouldn't come across the gate to select any other gears.
I took the cable off the box and was able to move the box across the gate easily from under the bonnet.
when the cable was off the shifter would move as well.

Ive put the cable back on and were able to select gears give it 5th and reverse side you need to have a second shot at getting it over to that side of the gate.

as far as I can tell there is a serious amount of play at the bottom of the gear shift. the white ball is about ready to pop out!!

Im thinking on ordering parts 9 and 15 do you think this will help?

http://eucatparts.com/imgbank/cat/fo/0015/D001580601.jpg
http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=24452&s_id_model=98

what parts was it yous needed to replace?
was it within the selector of the box itself?
http://eucatparts.com/imgbank/cat/fo/0015/G001593004.jpg
http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=24588&s_id_model=98