PDA

View Full Version : Polo CL SDI (1998 R Reg) - Internal Fan Problem

sunnyd24
20-01-2007, 04:06 AM
Hi all!

I'm new here and would like to say Hi!
Hope I can help as much as others can help me.

Currently I have lost power to the internal fan, used for heating/cooling inside the car. I was driving along and a small amount of smoke and burning smell appeared from feet area. Straight away I pulled over and inspected where it was from, and found that it was from the internal fan. Probably burnt out!

I have tried a new fuse of corect rating in it and it burns out when I start fan via knob.

Can anyone suggest where I can get one of these fans and/or a quick guide or manual on how to remove & replace it?
Part number? Any information?

I will be checking the local scrapyards, but anywhere else?

The model of the car is VW Polo Saloon CL (Classic) 1.9 SDI
R Reg (1998) (Yes, I know its old but thats all I can afford at the moment!!!) ;)

Any information would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Sunny

sunnyd24
24-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the replys guys!
Well as I had to find out by myself, I'll post up what I did, in case others have the same problem.
Well I went to the local scrappy, and to my luck they had a Polo (M or L Reg). Here's my guide for fixing it:

1. Dismantled fan blower by unscrewing the glovebox (5 screws) to find fan blower unit.
2. Also the 2 screws for bottom cover above legspace.
3. Then it is easy to unscrew the fan blower from underneath leaving 2 wires connected.
4. 1 connected to plug (+12v) in front,
5. and other to ground via chassis on the left (you will need a size 10/11/12 spanner (mine used 10) and unbolt.
6. Replace unit,
7. and connect plug and bolt to chassis and twist unit back on.
8. Replace fuse (Mine used 20 Amps) in fusebox to test fan blower.
9. Switch on. It should work first time!
10. If not then you may want to replace the resistor pack (used for control of speed of fan, rotary settings 1, 2, 3, 4). Replace this and check if it is working.

If all is well it should start working! :D

Enjoy!

Hope that helps people!
Next project, buying & fixing wiper switch control unit. :zx11:

Regards,

Sunny

pintpotter
24-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi,i dont know where you are but i use a VW/AUDI only scrap yard called Sanburn Autos.They are just of jnc3 of the M6.All parts are off the shelf and they do mail order too.The place is full from top to bottom with only VW/AUDI parts.Its a life saver of a place at times.Last week i got a fully unbolted electric roof with motor for £35!!Put it in and sorted.The cables to repair my old one were £70 from audi.
The telephone no is 02476637376 and they open at 10am.

Hope this helps
steve:D

sunnyd24
24-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks pintpotter,
I have come across them, but over the internet.
A great site for all motor repair parts is Parts Gateway (http://www.partsgateway.co.uk).
It gets quotes from loads of suppliers depending on Car Manufacturer!!
Takes about a day to recieve all quotes, then order!

I agree Sanburn Autos are the cheapest, but things can change!

For Example:
Wiper Lever Control/Switch Quotes (inc. Delivery & VAT),
Motors In Motion (£23.50)
Sanburn Autos (£15.27) <-----Great!!!
Stevens Volkswagen Dismantlers (£20.00)
2 Suppliers didn't have any Stock!

Regards,
Sunny