PDA

View Full Version : new subs / maybe amp.. any thoughts

barney0001
29-07-2008, 02:35 PM
hi,

i have had two rockford fosgate Punch subs in a ported box for about 8 years now, quality speakers! however one has just stopped working all together

no problems, time to upgrade i think.

i have a Kenwood KAC-PS521 amp, spec is (from a website)

* 1000W Max. power output
* 2 ohms RMS power output 2 x 250W
* 4 ohms RMS power output 2 x 125W
* 4 ohms bridged power output 1 x 500W
* Amp to amp connection via S-Video cable (optional extra)
* New Kenwood amplifier control system for treble / bass / Q-factor / gain
* New Kenwood display of voltage / current / temperature / fan speed
* Low pass filter 50 - 200 Hz
* High pass filter 50 - 200 Hz
* Infrasonic filter 15Hz / 25Hz

i am looking at some new subs, RF of course.

they are ROCKFORD FOSGATE P310D2 10", bit overkill but future proof for my future amps etc and found them at a very good price

was planning on wiring these in series (2ohms each = 4ohms bridged)

can anyone see a problem running these in this config on this amp?

if not, i've been looking into a JBL GTO1201.1 Monoblock Amp. worth spending the extra money, any one had anything similar?

any thoughts or advice?

thanks in advance :beerchug:
barney

dansansome
29-07-2008, 03:34 PM
so the new RF subs are 2ohm capable, and you want to run them in series from the bridged amp output?

hmm, i cant see a problem with this, but the amp has 2x250w outputs anyway hasnt it?

why not use those? im guessing all the low pass filters will still work running in the 2 channel mode?

are there any special settings on the amp that are only available to the bridged mode?

barney0001
29-07-2008, 04:04 PM
so the new RF subs are 2ohm capable, and you want to run them in series from the bridged amp output?

hmm, i cant see a problem with this, but the amp has 2x250w outputs anyway hasnt it?

why not use those? im guessing all the low pass filters will still work running in the 2 channel mode?

are there any special settings on the amp that are only available to the bridged mode?

i've always run them in bridged mode, was under the impression that was to way to go with subs, i shall look into this tonight.

thanks for your input