PDA

View Full Version : Polo Locks Are "not very good"

shearer27
29-07-2008, 11:29 AM
:aargh4:

My girlfriend owns a 'W' reg (2000) 1.4S Polo hatch. She has had the front locks break on both doors in the matter of 2 weeks! I tried replacing the passenger one with a replacement paddle mech. on the rear of the barrel (sourced from Eurolockz - Ebay) and this has since broken (broke on insertion into central locking mech.)

I bought a complete handle from Stevens VW distmantlers in Chelmsford for the drivers door - supplied with original barrel still inserted with no key to remove it! After about an hour drilling out the barrel (for <swear> sake!) I refitted the paddle meck + spring - a job requiring a lot of patience and 2 pairs of hands! Inserted into the door, and guess what, the paddle once again broke at the base!

I tried fixing myself as I do not want to pay a VW main dealer £90+ an hour (even **** Turpin wore an eyemask!)

Can anyone tell me why these locks (or any other VW lock) seems so vulnerable to breaking? - Are there any other manufacturers that need armour plates fitting to most of their cars to keep thieves at bay - I don't think so!

One disgruntled VW owner (I drive a '97 GTI). My girlfriend is now considering selling the Polo but who is going to buy it with two broken locks!

:zx11:

Sam
29-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Language Timothy.

I realise and appreciate you're upset but you have plenty of time, when typing, to think of a more suitable word.

Good luck getting your problem diagnosed

shearer27
29-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Oops sorry for that Sam – (slap my wrist! it won't happen again).