PDA

View Full Version : Bora TDI Hot Start Probs

DiverDave
19-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi, i have got a 1.9 TDI Bora on a 'W' plate (2000) with 78k on the clock. Recently ive noticed that it takes longer and longer to start when the engine is hot. It starts fine from cold and the glow plugs only take seconds to heat up.

Is it a fuel problem?? Would really appreciate some advice!!

Thanks, Dave.

uknick
20-01-2007, 09:37 AM
When you say takes longer to start, do you mean engine has to turn over more than usual?

I ask because I had a similar problem with my 1999 1.8T. When trying to start when warm, it took a number of attempts. Finally it failed and just turned over without starting.

Problem was sorted by the VW road side assistance. A temp sensor was faulty. Cost about £30 for the part.

DiverDave
20-01-2007, 11:09 PM
The engine starts with one turn of the key, but it just takes longer when it's hot than cold, and it appears to be getting worse.

Could you give me a bit more info on the temp sensor you had replaced?? Would like to do the job myself if i could! Try and save a few pennys.

Thanks for your help.

uknick
21-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I do not know what the part number is, but the sensor was in the water pipe just before it enters the radiator. But, that is on a 1.8t, could be different on your engine.

Very easy to change. It involved removing one circlip and pulling the sensor out. Took the repair guy about two minutes.

He diagnosed the fault using the VW software. You could ask your local dealer to see if they will diagnose your problem free of charge.