PDA

View Full Version : Question RCD 300 questions

mrpaul
28-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi all

Am new to the forum but have just taken delivery of a new golf estate sportline. I currently have the RCD 300 with 3.5mm aux in socket in the centre arm rest.

I have a couple of questions:

Hoe easy / Is it possible to convert the aux in to the usb multimedia socket to take usb keys for music?

or

Is it possible to add the deal fit ipod prep that provides the ipod wire in the glovebox and keep the aux in in the armrest?

Many thanks

Paul

Teflon
28-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I think I understand the questions, if so, here are the answers:

The aux-in socket is just a straightforward jack to take the output from an iPod or similar, in place of headphones.

The more complicated connector is available as a factory-fit option in Germany (at an extra cost of €165), but not in UK. You might be able to get the parts and retro-fit it, but I couldn't find any info to tell me how to do it. I'd be very wary about trying it, given that the benefit is pretty small.

Might be easier to get a cheap MP3 player and stick an 8Gb SD card into it.

VW have deleted the Dealer-fit iPOD interface from the latest price list. No surprises, it was shockingly bad value for money and poor functionality.

p.s. I've got the new RCD510 head unit, which has a SD card slot in it. I can thoroughly recommend it; it's miles better than the RCD300.

Ben
28-07-2008, 08:31 PM
p.s. I've got the new RCD510 head unit, which has a SD card slot in it. I can thoroughly recommend it; it's miles better than the RCD300.

I bet. and the best part of £2000 it better be better than the RCD 300. The bogstandard non mp3 versions of the RCD 300 struggle to sell for £10 on ebay so the RCD 510 is 200 times more expensive.

mrpaul
29-07-2008, 09:21 AM
hi all

thanks for the responses :) unfortunately im not able to get the rcd or rns 510 as the car is a leased company vehicle. but due to vw taking a long long time to deliver the car, was ordered way back in february, they have offered me £200 worth of compensation in the form of dealer fit bits, i would like to do something on the ICE side as it has all the other gizmo's like cruise etc.

On the leaflet in the dealer they are offering the ipod option for £155 hence my question? has this definitly been deleted now? are there any other options available to me through official channels?

thanks

Paul

Teflon
29-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I bet. and the best part of £2000 it better be better than the RCD 300. The bogstandard non mp3 versions of the RCD 300 struggle to sell for £10 on ebay so the RCD 510 is 200 times more expensive.
What planet are you on? Methinks you're mixing up models and thinking about VW's over-priced, under-functional nav unit to get your fantastical £2k number.

The RCD510 is an extra £220 on a Passat, £345 on a Golf, list price, factory fitted. Before long, you'll pick one up on EBay for about the same price. If he has a recently delivered car it doesn't have the old, non-MP3 radio, so your number and maths are ridiculous.

If mrpaul didn't already have his car, RCD510 would be a good way to spend his £200 of compo.

I'd have expected such a prolific poster to check his facts a bit more carefully before offering a wise crack.

mrpaul
30-07-2008, 08:05 PM
yep if i had the choice i would have done that but when i ordered in feb the only option was the 500 in dash changer of the RNS510 which would have been over my budget.

unfortunatly being a leased company car im unable to modify it :( so please could you advise 'if' the dealer fit ipod accessory is still available and if it will work with the aux in or whether it will be an either or.

thanks

Paul

Ben
30-07-2008, 09:43 PM
What planet are you on? Methinks you're mixing up models and thinking about VW's over-priced, under-functional nav unit to get your fantastical £2k number.

The RCD510 is an extra £220 on a Passat, £345 on a Golf, list price, factory fitted. Before long, you'll pick one up on EBay for about the same price. If he has a recently delivered car it doesn't have the old, non-MP3 radio, so your number and maths are ridiculous.

If mrpaul didn't already have his car, RCD510 would be a good way to spend his £200 of compo.

I'd have expected such a prolific poster to check his facts a bit more carefully before offering a wise crack.

i will always stand corrected. It does seem that i'm getting the RCD and RNS 510's mixed up. I know what the RNS 510 looks like - its the smart touch screen. Could you please enlighten me with a picture of the RCD 510 as i am unfamiliar with this model.

this then http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-VW-RCD-510-Radio-6CD-MP3-RCD510-Not-300-500_W0QQitemZ170244482095QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 70244482095&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

oh...Earth:D

Teflon
31-07-2008, 01:14 PM
2 answers for the price of one...

Yep, golfmk5gttdi, that's the one, all the photos are correct. £500 seems a bit steep, though. I've read the manual again and there is no indication that it will work with the old VW iPOD adapter, so the wording of the advert may be wrong, unless the seller has access to some technology info that VW has not yet included in the documents.

Word of warning for anyone thinking of buying ex-EBay - the RCD510 doesn't come with a radio code card as standard, although code details are retained at dealer. The radio is hard coded to the engine ECU so if you want to put it in another car, you must have the radio code from the original dealer.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Maybe, mrpaul, if you have the RCD300, not the RCD310. The part number for the iPOD kit in 2007 was 1K0 051 444, so maybe it is still available. But there is no way to be sure that this is still the correct one for your newer car without some more digging . If you are looking for dealer fit, I suggest you let them sort out the compatibilty.

You had to choose between iPOD adapter and CD stacker, you could not have both. Don't know if this is the case with the aux-in socket.

Word of warning though - the VW iPOD accessory was pretty poor, had limited functionality, only 6 playlists, etc. and you might be dissapointed. Do a search of the forum for a range of opinions on whether it is worth the money. It involves radio out to fit the accessory so I guess this may count as a modification?

You can just plug an iPOD into the 3.5mm accessory socket and play thorugh the car instead of earphones, but in that case you have to do all the control on the iPOD, not the radio.

mrpaul
02-08-2008, 11:40 AM
2 answers for the price of one...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Maybe, mrpaul, if you have the RCD300, not the RCD310. The part number for the iPOD kit in 2007 was 1K0 051 444, so maybe it is still available. But there is no way to be sure that this is still the correct one for your newer car without some more digging . If you are looking for dealer fit, I suggest you let them sort out the compatibilty.

You had to choose between iPOD adapter and CD stacker, you could not have both. Don't know if this is the case with the aux-in socket.

Word of warning though - the VW iPOD accessory was pretty poor, had limited functionality, only 6 playlists, etc. and you might be dissapointed. Do a search of the forum for a range of opinions on whether it is worth the money. It involves radio out to fit the accessory so I guess this may count as a modification?

You can just plug an iPOD into the 3.5mm accessory socket and play thorugh the car instead of earphones, but in that case you have to do all the control on the iPOD, not the radio.

Cool thanks for the information, my cars booked in for the 11th to have the ipod interface fitted so will report back if i keep my aux or not. i know its not the best interface but there is nothing else on the accessories list i need and VW are paying so is better than nothing :) i will report back after monday and let you know how i get on.

mrpaul
04-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Right one last quick question has anyone tried the 160gb 6th gen ipod classic with the oem adapter? need to confirm whether it will work before i purchase one.

andy3891
20-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Is there any way i can add an AUX socket to the rcd300. Just purchased a 2008 golf plus and i was wondering whether there is an alternative to taking it out and replacing it.